SATA mobo, can I fit IDE?

roddytoo 20:40 27 Jun 08

Have a SATA mobo with two SATA HDD fitted. No IDE connection. Is there any way I can adapt this for an IDE HDD, probably in an internal caddy, need information that is on the old IDE HDD and use it for storage.
TIA

Technotiger 20:44 27 Jun 08
  grey george 21:05 27 Jun 08

yes. This thread has some info
click here
You could buy an extenal caddy with a usb plug
click here
once you have accessed your info just use this as a back up drive.

daxian 22:10 27 Jun 08

hi roddytoo....
are you saying there is not a dvd player/writer in your system ??? or is that a sata connetion as well?
have seen very few mobo's without at least one ide for the dvd....maybe i'm not looking very far.!!!!Dave

woodchip 22:16 27 Jun 08

If you have a spare PCI slot you can get a Promise IDE card click here

hastelloy 10:43 28 Jun 08

I am about to fit the adaptor which was the subject of my thread which grey george linked to above. I also bought click here which I have been using for a couple of weeks. This has the advantage that you can switch it off/remove it without having to open the case. Either will enable an IDE drive to connect to a SATA port. I actually bought 2 of caddyse and then found I only had room for 1 (doh), so if you would be interested in the surplus 1 PM me.

hastelloy 10:45 28 Jun 08

you'll see from the links in my thread that they vary considerably in price - (£2+ to £34+) - and they all look the same. I dare say there's a variation in quality but ........

hastelloy 13:32 28 Jun 08

I couldn't get this to work and then discovered that the SATA socket on the dongle is broken. Back it goes and I'll get a more expensive (better quality) one!!! Lesson learnt???

cream. 13:37 28 Jun 08

"have seen very few mobo's without at least one ide "

I haven't seen any without one IDE motherboard connecter. What is your motherboard?

roddytoo 06:43 29 Jun 08

Solution appears to be the Promise card, giving the IDE connection. Need this because a DVD and DVD writer both exist taking up the onboard IDE connections.
Next problem: clone the existing HDD ( a weedy 160gb) to the new 500gb, any advice on software? Have found a couple of freeware verssions,

HDClone Free Edition 3.5.2

EASEUS Disk Copy

any comments on these?
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

woodchip 18:35 29 Jun 08

The Card takes up to four IDE drives, two per ribbon cable. Not to forget you will need Molex four pin power plugs for each new drive, also check the PSU is up to powering this lot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…