SATA master and slave

pcgal 21:13 01 Jan 05

I'm upgrading my computer to 64bit next week and I'm not sure If I should go with sata drives.

Are drives on sata connected to the cable as master and slave like IDE?

Do I stay with IDE on my next upgrade?

Any advice appreciated.

Happy New Year.

LinuxPenguin 21:15 01 Jan 05

yes go for it...

i dont know but when the sata drives arrive, youll either find jumper settings for master and slave or you wont...

youll love the speed increase

mattyc_92 21:19 01 Jan 05

NO, there aren't no "master and slave" options (accourding to my hard-disk's packaging).... The only problem is that you HAVE to use the program that came with the drive for windows to install onto it, otherwise it says that the partition isn't compatiable and tells you to "delete" it, so you do and the same message comes up, and it goes like this in an endless loop....

My drive is 160gb and it was only £100 brand new out of the box!!!!!

LinuxPenguin 21:23 01 Jan 05

or you couldve got the same one for £80 from maplin in their sale

LeadingMNMs 21:25 01 Jan 05

SATA is a completely different connection, and uses a cable able a centimeter wide. My motherboard has 4 SATA ports which support only a single drive, you cannot use masters and slaves. However, don't forget that you'll need at least 1 IDE/ATA port for optical drives.

Not sure about the problems with installing onto a SATA drive, though a version of XP with SP2 will probably install with no problems. XP came pre-installed on my system, though I had problems with several distributions of Linux that I wanted to try because they wouldn't recognise the SATA drive.

If it is the case that you need the manufactures software to install XP then make sure you buy a Retail Boxed version and not an OEM one, since this is unlikely to come with the software you need - i think.

LeadingMNMs 21:28 01 Jan 05

click here OEM or click here Retail Boxed

pcgal 21:45 01 Jan 05

thanx guys appreciated and thanx for the links LeadingMNMs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…