sata as Master drive

Stroller 07:49 18 Aug 05

My Mobo (Asrock K7VT4APro), accepts both IDE and Sata drives.
Currently using 2 IDE, 1x 80gb, 1x 40 gb. both with 6 partitions.

Can I install a new Sata drive as drive 'C', just installing the OS (XP pro) and all applications, and use the IDE drives for keeping files only?
TIA

Stroller

Philwane 08:39 18 Aug 05

Yes you can install WinXP onto the Sata disk but you must copy the sata drivers onto a floppy disk first.
Then when installing Windows XP press F6 and insert the floppy disk with the SATA drivers and install when prompted

Stroller 17:38 18 Aug 05

The SATA drivers, are they on the Mobo disk, or on Win Xp disk, or are they packaged with the Sata Drive?

Sorry for asking a very silly Q, but I store my 'master Disks' in a safe place, and unable to get them untill weekend.
cheers,
Stroller

GaT7 18:00 18 Aug 05

You can download the latest SATA drivers for your m'board from click here. You may want to update other drivers as applicable from there as well. The main Asrock download page: click here. Good luck, G

GaT7 18:06 18 Aug 05

Please note that SATA hard drives have a different data connection cable to usual IDE drives.

Also, they (with a few exceptions, that have both) require a different power connectors - so check your PSU. But this can be easily overcome with the appropriate adaptors. If you get a SATA drive that has both, only connect ONE power cable. G

Stroller 23:13 18 Aug 05

Thanks Crossbow 7,

The Mobo came with connector and PSU adaptor, hopefully will get new HDD at weekend, and lock myself in the room to set the system up.

How I hate re-installs now!

thanks to all for their help.
Stroller

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now