Sata jumper settings

rusty 15:05 18 Apr 08

I have just got 2 Maxtor sata drives to upgrade
my computer, but there is markings as to how to set the jumpers for master & slave

rustr

Eric10 15:29 18 Apr 08

Sata drives don't need to be set for Master or Slave since only one drive is supported per connection and cable. The boot drive would normally be connected to the Sata 1 connection on the motherboard and the other to Sata 2 but the drive to boot from can usually be set in the BIOS.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 18 Apr 08

The only jumper you may find on a SATA drive is o limit the speed from SATA 300 to use on an old board with only a SATA 150 controller.

rusty 17:49 18 Apr 08

Thanks to you both Eric10& Fruit Bat /\0/good info.

Now up and running

rust

1141 19:05 28 Jun 08

I have fitted two 250GB SATA hard disks (both running Windows XP pro) to my Gigabyte GA-P35DS3R motherboard.

Entering BIOS Setup, the HDDs are shown in Standard CMOS Features to be located as IDE Channel 0 Master and IDE Channel 1 Master. When Windows runs, it always opens to one particular HDD, without the option to chose (as was possible with the old Master/Slave setup).
Opening My Computer shows that both HDDs have available as Local Disk C and Local Disk E. Selecting the alternative drive is possible and the progrmams on it are accessible, but without the desktop.
I assume that a BIOS setting requires tweaking; I have tried following the manual instructions but the terminology leaves me somewhat baffled.
You views would be appreciated
Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…