SATA Interface DVD Drive

Snowy3uk 09:33 06 May 06

I have a custom built PC with two hard drives connected to the IDE channels on the motherboard in a master slave configuration. When building the machine I installed a CD-Rom drive to the second IDE channel as a Master. I now want to instal a DVD writer which only has a SATA connection. The Motherboard has SATA connector but when I connect the drive to either channel 1 or 2 the drive is not recognised and windows refuses to start.
I am running Windows XP Home with SP2 installed and all updates. I am pretty convinced the SATA drivers are installed but do not know how to check this - is what I am trying to do possible?

Thanks everyone

John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:47 06 May 06

The sata channels are set as first boot devices and the PC is trying to boot from any drive attatched to them.

Make sure you BIOS settings are set as 1st boot device IDE and retry.

Snowy3uk 10:04 06 May 06

Fruit Bat thanks for this - I have set the boot devices as HDD-0 as the first boot device (this is where the OS is) and HDD-1 as the second. All other devices are disables as Boot devices in the BIOS. Unbfortunately the DVD drive is still not recognised by the BIOS and windows will not load. Have I understood you correctly?
Thanks again

John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:21 06 May 06

Understood correctly (I may not have explained well).

Am used to doing this the opposite way round, booting from SATA hard drive with IDE CD/DVD. which is :
You have two options: HD0 - If there are
no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

HDO being drive on SATA 1 channel.

The installation of SATA drives may affect the drive letter assignments.

Consider how the BIOS, then essentially 'DOS' and then Windows XP assigns drive priorities.

You may be able to configure BIOS to provide for the existing drives to be DISK 0 and then DISK 1. Sometime the installation of a SATA drive would
affect BIOS to assign the STA drives as Disk 0: thus affecting Drive letter assignments in XP and this would cause XP to 'loose track' of where files are and thus crash or fail to load.

Essentially in a four disk [or two disks with two partitions] DOS would assign
IDE 0 - Master as C Drive
IDE 0 - Slave as E Drive
IDE 1 - Master as D Drive
IDE 1 - Slave as F Drive.

Now do you see how Xp could get confused if additional drives are added that cause 'drive letters' to change.

You need to ensure that your BIOS will regard the ATA drives as Disks 0 and 1, then the SATA drives as Disks 2 and 3.

After you sucessfully boot, Windows will need the driver files installed to use the SATA disks.

Snowy3uk 13:24 06 May 06

There does not appear to be any settings in the BIOS other than the Boot order that able me to 'direct' the BIOS/XP as to how to treat the various drives.
I am beginning to think that SATA is an unneccessary complication - lots of opinion i have read is that the SATA interface is no faster in practice that IDE/PATA so what is the point.
I am going to try swopping an IDE DVD drive from another machine and mount the SATA drive in my newer machine as i suspect the BIOS version and the age of the BIOS as being my real problem here.
BTW - as i understand it if you have SP2 for XP (which I do) SP2 has the SATA drivers?
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009