SATA / IDE hard disks

Diodorus Siculus 09:41 15 May 05

I am looking to buy a new motherboard - it will obviously have SATA connections for SATA hard drives.

The mobo I am looking at is Asus AV8-E deluxe. Will I be able to add my current 160gb hard drive to this?

I also want to keep my DVD Rom / DVD RW. I presume that this will be ok?

Thanks as always, Dio.

Joe R 09:50 15 May 05

Diodorus Siculus,

I take it the hard drive you want to keep is an IDE device.

You will still have the two IDE channels on your mobo, which still allows for two devices on each channel, so installing your old drives will not be a problem.

bremner 09:51 15 May 05

click here

It states "two UltraATA133 connectors" this will allow you to connect your IDE HDD

bremner 10:00 15 May 05

I do not know if you were specifically talking about this mobo or generalising.

I got caught out in a thread recently by saying all mobos have two IDE connections.....

Only to be shown the Gigabyte GA 8I915PM which only has Sata conenctions. It seems IDE is now not definitely included as standard.

Joe R 10:07 15 May 05

bremner,

yes I was caught out myself with the same board, so made sure this time. click here

Diodorus Siculus 11:37 15 May 05

OK thanks for all that. I was concerned that the motherboards would be SATA only.

Seems to be a good board, going by the reviews I've read in PCPro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…