SATA - how do you start

dcnewton 16:56 18 Feb 05

I have recently bought a SATA hard drive but seem unable to get windows to pick it up, it is picked up by the bios.

when i go to install the drivers it asks for the floppy disk with the files, but, the motherboard only came with a cd and the file is too big for a floppy.

any ideas chaps (and chapesses)

FelixTCat 17:03 18 Feb 05

You will have to formatb it before you will see it in My Computer.

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management

If this is the second hard disk in your machine it will be Disk 1 in the right hand pane. Right-click and format.

dcnewton 17:17 18 Feb 05

Cheers FelixTCat.

will try that, it will be the 3rd drive in the pc.

the other thing is I have two optical drives and two hard drives, when i plug the power of the sata in, one of the optical drives disappear, as far as i remember they aren't even on the same power lead, as i put the all the hard drives on the same lead and the opticals on their own lead.

FelixTCat 17:24 18 Feb 05

As the third drive, it will be Disk 2. Before you format, make sure that the hard drive you select has no drive letters showing!

On the other front, you may be pushing your psu to its limits. Does it disappear in the BIOS, in My Computer, or both?

dcnewton 17:29 18 Feb 05

it disappears in my computer, bios still picks it up.

the psu is a 550W which i thought would be fine.

mrdsgs 17:41 18 Feb 05

are you sure it really has disappeared?

it may be that windows has reassigned its drive leter to the sata drive. the optical drive may then be given a later letter.

irrespective, you will need to partition/format the sata drive before my computer will see it.

do that first

mrdsgs

FelixTCat 17:54 18 Feb 05

Depends. I recently put a new 500w psu in a computer with 2 hdd and 2 optical drives. Wouldn't boot (I could fiddle it). Graphics card needed a supplementary power supply. Replaced it with a more basic card and all is well.

Don't always believe what's written on the label.

cycoze 21:35 18 Feb 05

You should be able to tell windows to lift the drivers from the CD, once installed , use disk management and initialize the drive , you can then format and partition the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5