SATA help please

nifermac 16:28 26 Feb 07

Hi I'm probably doing/ missing something really silly but i got another sata hdd for my pc (don't use ide) I thought i just put it in the pc and connect it up and the pc would find it automatically. But when the 2nd drive is connected the pc crashes to blue screen with this message ****STOP:0x0000007b . Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please many thanks.

nifermac 16:57 26 Feb 07

I've managed to get the pc to start ( i had taken the jumper off ) But the drive isn't showing up on my pc is there anything else I need to do to get it to be visiable. Thanks again

crosstrainer 17:04 26 Feb 07

In order for your PC to see the drive, it needs to be formatted...to do this, open control panel, double click on administrative tools (computer managent) then from the window that opens choose "storage" your new drive should be listed but not formatted..highlight the drive, right click and choose format..this will take a while, but needs to be done once only....if all connections are ok, your new drive should then work fine

uesquebeathus 17:04 26 Feb 07

this stop error can be caused by a multitude of things, it sounds like your second drive has become your boot drive, I would hope it was just a bios detection fault, did you go into the bios after you fitted the drive to make sure you were still booting to the correct drive, and are the SATA drivers installed. another thing could be that the bios SATA Drive settings are set for RAID but you have not configured RAID
have a look at this page:-
click here about half way down gives some notes on not finding the boot device.

for more information:-
click here
please read it carefully and don't jump to conclusions there is a lot there!

another page that could help
click here

nifermac 17:21 26 Feb 07

Thanks guys for the advice. It boots up ok now. But still got problems trying to format it. There is no format option only new partition.

ed-0 17:30 26 Feb 07

In disk management, select new partition. This will start the new partition wizard.

just follow the wizard all the way through, it will give you the option to partition the drive, if you want. Also when it asks if you want to use the NTFS filing system, click on the "quick format" box. this will format the rive in seconds.

Good luck.

nifermac 17:35 26 Feb 07

Many thanks didn't mean to be so dumb didnt realise that partion was foramtting lol. All sorted now many thanks to everyone

ed-0 17:42 26 Feb 07

" to be so dumb "

Puting in a SATA drive and sorting out those problems, isn't dumb.

Well done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…