SATA HDD shows in XP Hardware List as SCSI !

Giggle n' Bits 23:09 10 Jun 05

Can someone please confirm if a SATA HDD installed as a only HDD in WinXP should show as a SCSI Drive ?

Also isn't a SATA HDD when fitted suppose to be listed as the full size e;g right click on pie chart for a 120GB HDD showing as 111GB or is this normal.

Ta in advance for your call.

josie mayhem 23:30 10 Jun 05

What showing for your hhd size ia about right. My 120GB sata only shows as 114GB's. It is partly due to how they calculate the bytes size a GB isn't a 10000 but something like 10024 or something like that. and you lose some when setting up for some strange reason, I always seem to loose a 8MB into a very small partiton.

Concerning how xp reads the drive type, I can't seem to get into the hardware bit at the moment, but if I remember rightly my sata hhd also shows up as a scsi drive.

As long as it works I shouldn't worry about it.

Gaz 25 23:42 10 Jun 05

Yes, above response was correct.

It does show up as less, and it probably will show up as SCSI.

Giggle n' Bits 23:52 10 Jun 05

everything seems to be fine, now with this SATA drive and working A OK. On the Asus Motherboard CD when you insert it into the drive the auto play comes up and there is a RAID SATA driver, my HDD is a stand alone SATA HDD so I take it this driver is not needed so I just install the Via 4in1, Audio & USB 2.0

ashdav 00:34 11 Jun 05

No need to install USB drivers as XP already has them. You can get an updated audio driver from VIA click here It has a better interface and more functions.

ashdav 00:38 11 Jun 05

The above link takes you to the drivers home page. select XP then Audio then scroll down the window to the AC97.....8237 Southbridge.

ashdav 00:46 11 Jun 05

Should put all this in one post.. The RAID driver is if you are installing more than one HDD. SATA is a form of SCSI drive. There are 2 reasons why your hard drive appears to have less space: 1) Part of the disc contains info on where there are any faulty segments and how it is partioned. It's a map if you like. 2)1Kb is actually 1024b. Divide your disc capacity by 1.024 then you get nearer the actual figure.

Giggle n' Bits 01:17 11 Jun 05

now I can move on to the modem problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…