SATA HDD and IDE HDD mix

Blubottle 09:55 18 Oct 06

My MOBO is an ASUS A7N8X delux at the momement I am running two 80 gig Seagate IDE drives, I think the primary will need replacing soon as it makes a whirring noise during the first stages of boot up. As the the M/B has two SATA headers can I replace one drive with a serial sata HDD and run it alongside the second IDE.
regards

BigMoFoT 10:41 18 Oct 06

No problem at all - just make sure you modify the boot sequence to look for the SATA drive

daxian 10:46 18 Oct 06

hi blubottle....
yes no problem ....
depends if your going to use the sata for storage or operating system, or the ide for operating system, as windows will normally default to the ide as first drive .
if using the sata for o\s disconnect the ide till setup is finished .Dave

Blubottle 17:29 18 Oct 06

many thanks both,,
Daxian
I intend to use the SATA drive as a primary with the O/S installed on it with the ide as my back up drive mainly storing Ghost images,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 18 Oct 06

Installing XP on SATA drive
Once you have the drive(s) connected you are ready to start installing XP.
Master and Slave
Remember since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

SATA controller driver
Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders.

BIOS settings
When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver
Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.
With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited
Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

BigMoFoT 11:45 20 Oct 06

When I install XP onto my system I do not need the SATA driver - it works straight from the XP CD. I think that maybe something to do with the motherboard (Asus A8N SLi)...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:01 20 Oct 06

If motherboard has inbuilt drivers then the SATA drive is recognised by XP setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac