sata hdd boot order?

Jollyjohn 18:35 14 Mar 09

I have just spent a couple of hours trying to remove a virus from a pc, unsuccesfully.
The pc contains a sata hdd with some important data on and so a reinstall is not an option.
The user has decided to purchase a new hdd and install windows XP onto it.
My question is when the original hdd is connected again will the pc attempt to boot from it or will it become a slave drive from which data can be recovered?

lotvic 00:11 15 Mar 09

I *think* the motherboard SATA slots decide which is 'master' to boot from.
Therefore SATA1 slot makes that harddrive the master and other slots are slave

(that is if it's set that way in the bios - which might call it something other than SATA1 - it seems to depend on the make of motherboard, so I suggest looking in the BIOS and make a note of the boot order settings)

If you install the new drive swap it with the old one and don't put the old one back in until after you have got all the antivirus and spyware stuff loaded and updated so that you can 'clean' the old drive when you plug it back in as slave.

Others will confirm this or correct me if I have got it wrong.

Jollyjohn 17:24 15 Mar 09

Thanks for the reply - as the current hdd is the only one and the cable was disconnected at the hdd end it will be in the sata 1 skt.
I suppose windows will sort out a drive letter for it once the old one is reconnected?

lotvic 21:26 15 Mar 09

Yes windows will give it a drive letter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now