sata hd power cable

iqs 13:57 10 Aug 07

Hi.I have just received my WD Sata HD.It was the retail ver.

Reading the instructions has caused me some concern.Connecting the SATA lead to the motherborad is simple,using the supplied lead.But the instructions state that I must use a SATA power cable,not supplied.

I was hoping to use the spare PC molex lead to power the drive.The drive has a molex socket.Can I still power the drive via molex,or must I purchase the SATA power cable.And how does the SATA power cable connect to the power supply.

Also ,can I use XP to set up the new HD,or the supplied disc.

Thank you.

Cheers

pj123 14:08 10 Aug 07

A SATA power cable looks like this:

click here=

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 10 Aug 07

The drive has a molex socket.Can I still power the drive via molex

Yes

This allow the sata drives to be use with older PSUs not fitted with SATA power connectors

ambra4 16:22 10 Aug 07

You ca buy a sata power adapter that would change the normal white connector to the sata black connector, they come single or double

iqs 21:34 10 Aug 07

pj123,Fruit Bat/\0/\ and ambra4.

I have not checked if my power supply has a sata power cable,it should do.The PC is only four months old.There is spare molex power plugs,these will do for now.

Thanks for answering this question,but any advice on the best way to set up the harddrive,disc or XP?.Many thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…