Sata HD installation onto Minitower Compaq dc5100

Mark-it 16:28 31 Oct 06

I upgraded my minitower Compaq dc5100 with a second HD SATA II however it does not work .
Do I have to do any adjustment into the BIOS if so where because I should be able to see in theBOIS set up the new drive which instead I do not .
I am running home XP on the PC
thanks for any help

ed-0 16:53 31 Oct 06

Is the hard drive a SATA 11, does your motherboard controller support SATA 11 or SATA 1?

Have you looked in > right click my computer > manage > disk management. Is the drive shown there?

ed-0 17:01 31 Oct 06

if this is your machine with this specification, then your controller is SATA 1. click here

You will need to visit the SATA11's web site to see if it has a jumper setting to slow the drive down to SATA 1 standard.

Or you can post the full serial number of the drive , here.

Mark-it 20:41 31 Oct 06

hi ed-0

my machine is a PT013AW (dc5100 MT) , ideally it should support SATA I but also II . I got 2 SATA slots on the mother board neither seems working ,fom the manual I should connect over the SATA 0 slot .
I do not have seen any jumpers on the hard disk (KA101V00 the code fot the maxtor 160 GB Sata II)

on the system I cannot see at all the disk

ed-0 21:02 31 Oct 06

the specification of the PT013AW is for a SATA 1.5Gb. This is just SATA 1. thats why it won't work.

I'll see if I can find anything for the SATA 11 drive. Has it got a series of un-jumpered pins.

ed-0 21:03 31 Oct 06

for your system. click here

ed-0 21:25 31 Oct 06

here are the jumper setting you need to alter for your system click here

You need to cover the pins for the 1.5Gb transfer rate.

then boot the system, look in disk management and get the drive ready for use. ;-)

Mark-it 22:10 31 Oct 06

done it but still not working!!
it is frustrating

ed-0 22:33 31 Oct 06

So you have altered the jumper so it is running at SATA 1 speed?

Have you looked at > right click my computer > manage > disk management.

Is the drive listed there.

ed-0 22:37 31 Oct 06

What you could do, that would help, is to find the motherboard details. You could use SIW click here

We could then check the bios for obvious settings.

picklefactory 06:38 01 Nov 06

Probably talking rubbish, but it's not just about setting your BIOS to look for a SCSI drive is it? Is your existing HDD SATA? I have one HDD only which is SATA, had to set BIOS to look for SCSI to find mine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5