sata hard drives

hi, i have 2 eide? hard drives. my motherboard has 2 sata connections. the system is xp pro backed up to an external drive, im thinking about replacing my drives with 2 larger drives, do i just connect the sata drives up and install drivers? and would my back up write to the new drives or would this mean a reinstall?
many thanks.

I am Spartacus 10:15 12 Oct 07

If your BIOS has an option to configure SATA as Standard IDE (Enhanced Mode) then you shouldn't need to load drivers. However if that option isn't there or you want to enable SATA then it will probably mean a reinstall (loading the drivers from floppy if you're on XP). Not having the drives configured as SATA means you won't have the option of AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface), whatever that does.

I am Spartacus 10:17 12 Oct 07

AHCI explained click here

hi and thanks for the reply, bios reports sata is set as ide at the moment so i guess a reinstall will be preferred. thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…