sata hard drives

jamiedude 13:02 22 Jul 04

Hi,I am having a new computer built and have been told 'SATA'hard drives are really good,can any one advise me.

xania 13:53 22 Jul 04

SATA is the emerging technology although there aren't all that many devices yet available and, I understand, there is a price hike. Speed and capacity are the main benefits, but it depends on what you want to do. Some useful links:

click here
click here
click here

Chegs ® 17:08 22 Jul 04

I have already got 2x120Gb SATA's,I have just spent the best part of 48Hrs reinstalling XP onto them.They are faster than IDE hdd's,but only marginally and also only faster in windows.Try doing anything in DOS and your in for a week long wait,it took XP 2 hours to format 22% of a 10Gb partition.DriveImage(Caldera DOS) takes upto 4 hours to reinstall a 1.5Gb image,and often fails in the last few percent.There are supposed to be new revisions of SATA technology,so if your adamant you want SATA,I would wait a while yet.Also,the Si3112 drivers available aren't M$ certified(yet)Mine keep vanishing during reboots,and XP fails to load.

mosfet 20:08 22 Jul 04

I have 2x80g sata drives.They have never been a problem.In XP are formated in a few minutes.An image restore with True Image in 35mins.

It's Me 20:19 22 Jul 04

My 2 x 200GB SATA HDDs have been no trouble at all once they were successfully installed, and all that needs is the proper drivers for the motherboard, as they are not yet in XP, or at least that was my experience. Mine are not in a Raid configuration, although they are affected, it seems, by the Raid controller on the m/board. You just have to ignore that they appear to be called SCSI drives which is what Windows insists on calling them.

GL1200 20:25 22 Jul 04

I have a couple of Maxtor 80Gb SATA drives installed. No noticable difference in speed, no problem cloning with Ghost(takes 15 minutes as it did with IDE drives). However what made me buy them was the fact that I can run 2 hard drives, and still connect up to 4 IDE devices without having to install a seperate IDE controller card. I now run the 2 SATAs, 1 DVD ROM, 1 CD-RW, and 1 250Mb Zip drive.

Goldwing.

jamiedude 01:34 23 Jul 04

Thanks for your interesting comments.My main purpose for the new computer is to video edit and was told by my local computer shop that 'sata' are the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…