SATA Hard Drive Problems Windows XP Home Edition

digitalone 20:21 08 Jun 04

I have just purchased a 200mg sata hard drive, i have just installed it to a A7N8X-E motherboard via the motherboard SATA connection.

i am trying to do a fresh install of Windows XP however at the load up screen XP says it cannot find any hard drives and re-boots. So I cant install XP on the hard drive.

But the motherboard recognises the hard drive. Can anyone help.

jimv7 20:34 08 Jun 04

You have to load the sata drivers for xp when it asks you to press f6 for scsi drivers.

Night Ryder 22:00 08 Jun 04

You will have to partition the new drive before it will work. Easiest thing to do is use a DOS boot disk, if you have one. Boot the machine with this disk. At the dos prompt type Fdisk and create a new partition/s. If you choose to make several partitions you will have to set the first one as active. Now re boot the machine with the DOS disk and format the first partition which will become the C drive. You should now be able to install the Op system. You can format any other partitions once you've got Windows XP up and running.

temp003 02:40 09 Jun 04

Follow jimv7's suggestion.

With most motherboards supporting SATA, installing a fresh copy of XP to an SATA hdd from scratch requires you to install the SATA disk controller driver first.

When you boot up from the XP CD, get your finger ready on the F6 key. When you see a message at the bottom of the screen asking you to press F6 to install scsi or hard disk controller drivers, press F6 a few times. Files will continue to load and at some stage, you'll be asked to insert a floppy for the driver.

Check whether the motherboard came with a floppy with the SATA driver. If not, browse through your motherboard CD and find it, and put it on a floppy, or download from the Asus site.

temp003 02:58 09 Jun 04

The SATA controller is made by Silicon Image. If you don't have the floppy, browse the motherboard CD for a folder called SATA or Silicon Image, or sil 3112A.

Or download from click here

The download or the CD contains the RAID drivers and software. Do not include those when you copy to the floppy. Exclude the folder called gui and exclude the SATA Raid Manual (in pdf form) - there isn't enough space on the floppy anyway.

Just copy the rest of the files to the floppy. After pressing F6, when prompted, insert the floppy.

Note also that if your XP CD is the orginal XP, i.e. without SP1, XP Setup will not recognise the full 200GB size of the hdd. It will only see 128GB (or 137GB). Create whatever partition you need during XP Setup, then after installation is complete, install SP1, and go into Disk Management to further partition the hdd.

If you want to create a partition using the full size of the hdd, you'll have to create a slipstreamed XP SP1 CD first, and use that CD for installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…