SATA HARD DRIVE PROBLEM NOT DETECTING IN BIOS

jonoace 20:27 16 May 04

Can some one tell me if a sata hard drive (one hard drive only ) get detected when installing windows xp.

I have a maxtor dimoundmax plus 9 SATA hard drive 120 gb and MSI K8T NEO AMD 64 SOCKET 754 MOTHERBOARD

This hard drive does not have the 40 pin collector instead it has the new SATA 4 PIN COLLECTOR.

I COLLECT THIS WITH SATA cable to the motherboard into the SATA 1 sockect

Knowning i can not collect to the idle (40 pin socket) ,when i go into the BIOS SET UP IT SAYS HARD DRIVE IS NOT INSTALLED . THIS IS DUE TO THE FACT I DON'T HAVE THE IDLE COLLECTION.

BUT WHEN I GO INTO THE RAID BIOS SET UP IT DETECTS THE HARD DRIVE NO PROBLEM. BUT I CAN NOT USE THE RAID SET UP AS I ONLY HAVE ONE HARD DRIVE AND NOT TWO DRIVES NOT REALLY WANTING TO USE THE RAID ANYWAY.

BECAUSE OF THIS THE QUESTION I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IS CAN I STILL LOAD WINDOWS XP IN THE HOPE IT WILL DETECT THE SATA HARD DRIVE AND FORMAT IT AND DETECTING IT A C DRIVE FOR WHICH XP WILL GO ON TO.

I WOULD BE MOST GREATFUL FOR ANY HELP REGARDS TO THIS PROBLEM MY EMAIL IS [email protected]" title="[email protected]" TARGET="_new">click here

KIND REGARDS JONATHAN HYMAS

dawnyworld 20:46 16 May 04

sounds to me u need to load the raid drivers from your motherboard cd

you need to drag all raid drivers on to a floppy
iinstall windows then when prompted press F6 then specify to load from floppy

Night Ryder 21:09 16 May 04

If your hard drive is being detected in BIOS the problem is very likely that the drive just needs to be partitioned. No windows system will see a hard drive whether IDE, SATA, SCSI untill that drive has been partitioned. If you have already installed Windows XP just right click on the My Computer icon and select Manage. Now click on Disk Management. If there is an unpartitioned drive on your system Windows XP will recognise this and ask how you wish to proceed. You will then have to partition and format the new drive. If there is no system on your PC you can used a DOS boot disk and run Fdisk to partition and format a new drive.

Night Ryder 21:13 16 May 04

My personal fav is to use a program called "Partition Magic" which can be run from a floppy disk. I find that this method partitions and formats even the lagest drives faster than any other method.

gudgulf 21:19 16 May 04

Try putting the xp disc in and see what happens--setup will soon tell you if there is a problem with detecting the hard drive.

If it lets you format and install,all well and good,if not post back with any error messages you get.

jonoace 21:32 16 May 04

thanks for your help guys i try using these the fdisk first. one thing i like to say when the post has finished it asks me to install disk in drive a is this normal.

regards jon hymas

bremner 21:36 16 May 04

You should not need to do anything other than put the XP CD in the CD Drive and boot from it.

XP will Fdisk and Format the drive itself before it commences its install.

Unless you want to install another drive and run the pair in a RAID then do not install the RAID drivers.

cycoze 21:37 16 May 04

Yes XP will see your SATA drive , intial blue XP laoding screen will ask if you want to load extra drivers(bottom left of screen), you hit F6 to comply , you will need SATA drivers either on a floppy or CD to hand as XP will ask for them a little later.

On your MotherBoard you will need to make sure SCSI is set in the boot order.

bremner 21:37 16 May 04

ps

XP will also allow you to make partitions if that is what you want to do and finally it is a very bad idea to post your e mail address on this or any other forum - it is an open invitation to spammers and worse.

Night Ryder 21:38 16 May 04

This is likely to hapen if you have no system installed on your PC. The first boot device is usually the "A" or floppy drive. Hence the request to install a disk in drive "A"

cycoze 21:39 16 May 04

That would be Initial and Loading , this keyboard never works properly after a large Brandy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…