Sata hard drive not being recognised on bootup

BattyWally 10:34 AM 08 Jul 11

I have recently had a problem with my on board network adapter, telling me the cable was unplugged when it plainly was not and was OK the last time the PC was used. I am running XP Pro with SP3 with 3GB RAM. I have a 40GB hard drive as the master and a 250GB SATA as slave. At the same time that I had the network card trouble, the shortcut icon for the Sata drive had the red question mark on it, and clicking it gave a message " The drive drive or network connection .... is unavailable. Make sure the disk is properly inserted or the network is available and try again". I installed a network card and rebooted and a Broadband connection was effected, but the SATA Drive problem remained. It's not recognised by bios or device manager. Any ideas how to solve this problem please?

rdave13 10:48 AM 08 Jul 11

I would check the sata cable connections to the hard drive and motherboard. If not a latching lock type then it could have worked lose.

BattyWally 14:50 PM 08 Jul 11

Thanks Dave - tried that but no joy. Looks like the drive is U/S. Bit annoyed as I haven't had it that long, it's the newest bit of h/ware on the PC, which is only used once a week. :{

gengiscant 15:26 PM 08 Jul 11

Can you try it either in an external drive caddy or another PC?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 3D food printer prints chocolate, cookie dough or pizza

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone