SATA Hard Drive Installation HELP!!Thanks

paleblue 19:26 20 Nov 05

Hi,

I am rebuilding a system for a friend and have come across a problem.

I have installed new PSU (500w), XP1700 CPU on a Asrock K7VT4A Motherboard, 1x 40gb WD Caviar SE SATA 150 7200rpm 8mb, I have created the boot disk onto floppy from the Mobo driver disc, but when I put XP disc into system it says floppy ok, NTLDR missing, and then I get the option to reboot but it will not install windows, can anyone please help, I have had this system 3 weeks now, and my friend really needs it back!

ade.h 19:35 20 Nov 05
  spruce 20:25 20 Nov 05

check the bios, i have noticed on a number of new mobos that the hard drive has to be selected - it is not like selecting ide0 or ide1 anymore for booting. give it a try and rake around the bios you will probably find it there, stating actually the name of the drive i.e. segate blah blah blah. seems bizarre but i would hedge my bet that this is what is happening.
if this does not work try moving the sata cable to the other channel and try and boot it.

paleblue 20:32 20 Nov 05

Thanks for your messages so far guys, I have tried everything you said but it still isn't working, it isn't even detecting the SATA drive in the BIOS, it dectects the CD RW no problem, but nothing on the SATA.....any other ideas?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:32 20 Nov 05

DO NOT have floppy in drive while booting.

In bios set first boot to CD second to Sata drive / HDD.

Boot with XP CD watch for F6 message to inout raid drivers put the floppy with the drives in at this point.

Carry on with XP setup after loading raid drivers.

spruce 20:40 20 Nov 05

is the drive spinning cos the power cable might not be right in, this is also a common problem - also have another good rake around the bios for a setting relating to your hard drive, try looking in the not so obvious places - have you changed over the channels (is the cable good also)

jimv7 21:03 20 Nov 05

Change the boot from ide to scsi if no sata is shown.

User-312386 21:23 20 Nov 05

Here is what to do

Insert the Asrock support CD, to boot your system. During POST tap the F11 key, the a windows for boot device screen appears. Select Cd-ROM as the boot device. When you see the message on the screen saying "Do you want to make a Serial ATA diskette Y/N? Press Y

Now make a diskette to load the drivers

User-312386 21:24 20 Nov 05

you may also want to download the manual from click here and look at page 19

paleblue 19:05 21 Nov 05

Thanks for all your advice so far however, after trying all the various options, I now get the following error after pressing F6 and asking to boot from Drive A{ Floppy):

File txtsetup.oem unexpected error (4102) at line 1742 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisc.c.

Has anyone seen this error before, as I have never come across it! any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

ade.h 20:34 21 Nov 05

As it's an error in the txtsetup file, it should be quite easy to cure if you can make sure you have the correct version of that file (if there's more than one) and replace the copy that's not working.

click here for a brief explanation of what that file does.

It might just be a case of re-downloading the relevant driver files, of which this is one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…