sata hard drive help plz

c4rmo 19:38 09 Oct 04

k basically i had a 120gb maxtor sata drive installed with windows xp. I bought another 120 gb maxtor sata drive today and installed it. went fine booted into windows and i could see the 120gb free space in disk management. My freind told me to go into the sata bios setup screen and choose Striped (Raid0) which i did. When i rebooted i keep getting boot disk error which basically means the os has gone i tried removing the raid settings to default but still get same message

will i have to reinstall windows??

could some 1 give me info on the raid settings i can use

Night Ryder 20:06 09 Oct 04

If you have a DOS bootable floppy with fdisk, boot from this, run fdisk and see if the drives are visible. If so check the state of the drive with the OP system. Make sure it is set to active.

c4rmo 20:13 09 Oct 04

i have no important data on there at all i only installed windows on there a couple days ago

i was just curious as wot caused it to give me the boot disk error.

ive never used a sata raid at all before shall i keep it wot its on atm Striped (Raid0)??and just do a fresh install of windows?? im gonna have 1 120gb partition with windows on then create a extended 120gb partition in disk managment in windows so i can have all my data music ect on

BarryKeith 20:51 09 Oct 04

You cannot just switch over to RAID from a single drive set-up, you will have to reinstall windows onto the new array. I do not really see any point in doing so as you will obtain no benefit from it for normal day-to-day use. I would much sooner use the serial drives as independent drives with a back-up copy of windows stored on the second drive in case of mishaps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:34 09 Oct 04

HOW TO SET UP A RAID ARRAY
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…