sata hard drive

JON99 17:31 13 Mar 04

I've just installed a seagate sata hd on my machine. I installed it just to see if my mother board info was correct and it was happy to run a sata drive. It seems to be quite happy to do this so the next challenge is to find the best way to format the drive and then transfer the contents of the existing 40gb ata drive to the new 120gb sata one. My intention is to eventually remove the smaller drive for use in another machine, unless anyone has a better idea? However the formatting/transfer issue comes first any thought would be most welcome.

goonerbill 17:47 13 Mar 04

seagate have a utility called discwizard 2003 (or newer)on there web site. us that to transfer from your old drive to the new. it copies everything and the sata drive will be bootable staight away, as long as you have it set up in the bios to boot from there first.

JON99 18:23 13 Mar 04

Thanks for that goonerbill but I downlaoded discwizard which ran on the initial install so I configered the drive under the "extra storage" heading as it was something of an experiment, but since then the disc wizard has refused to load!
Another problem...the sata drive appears to have it's own bios that has no connection with the main bios? main bios is a promise one sata is a silcon image one...I over my depth here!

My operating system is xp pro the mother board is a gigabyte 7vaxp ultra can anyone help?

goonerbill 23:45 13 Mar 04

never used raid so not sure what you will need to do now.

maybe someone else in the forum will be.

Chegs ® 01:47 14 Mar 04

I have the same mobo as you,to answer your queries in 2 parts...

If you copy the contents of your present drive to SATA,first boot crashes to blue screen,as there are no drivers for the SATA hdd(I used DI2002 to copy my IDE hdd then loaded the image into my SATA hdd,and that was the result)It can be done if the SATA hdd is already carrying XP's Recovery Console,but you need the OS to get to that.

To get XP onto the SATA hdd,you need the Si3112 files from the motherboards driver cd copied to a floppy,then set pc to boot from cd,and the 2nd device as SCSI.Then restart puter with XP cd in,"press F6 to install drivers" will appear at bottom of screen shortly after the install starts,if you have pressed F6,it will ask for the Si3112 files from floppy(press S to install appears)and then XP will continue to load,then you can either load Recovery Console(ready to copy old hdd to SATA)or use the inbuilt "File and settings transfer wizard" with your IDE hdd connected(just ensure that HDD0 isn't set in BIOS as 3rd boot device)fire up the SATA + IDE hdd,and use the SATA hdd's version of XP to copy the files off IDE drive.Once the BIOS is set to SCSI as 1st boot option,the IDE version doesn't cause any probs.

Also,you might consider creating a smallish (10Gb approx)partition on SATA to carry XP as whenever I put XP onto 120Gb hdd,it starts to get unstable after a few days.

JON99 13:40 14 Mar 04

Thank you for a very comprihensive solution, but just one last thing. Do I need to do anything about the fact that I originally installed the new drive with seagate discwizard as extra storage...will I need to reformat and if so, as discwizard seems to be on strike, what is the best way to do this?

Night Ryder 19:02 14 Mar 04

Don't understand what all the fuss is about. I've recently installed several
of these drives to machines I use at work for video capture and editing.
I am using Windows XP pro., If you right mouse click on the "My Computer" icon
and select manage a window will pop up. Now click on "Disk Management".
If you have a drive on your system that is not partitioned, windows will recognise this and offer you choices for partitioning and formatting.
If all drives are formatted and healthy you will see a list of all the drives
on your system and what there states are.
Another much quicker method I've used is "Partition Magic". I boot from the floppy
version which allows me to do everything from formatting to assigning active
partitions. I assume you understand that the new drive will have to be a primary,
active drive? but not yet as you wish to retain your current system intact.
Firstly just format the new drive, boot to windows and coppy the whole operating
system to it. Make sure you can see all the hiden and system files first.
If you now boot using "Partition Magic" you should be able to convert the new drive to a primary, active drive and for the time being delete the old one.
Once all this is done, reboot and your new drive should come to life with your
system intact. Go to disk management again as I described and you can then format
your old drive ready for use again. I've used this method many times in the past
without any problems.

JON99 20:22 20 Mar 04

Sorry for the delay, I've had to work else where! Thanks for the info guys the drive is now up and running with only a small niggle which I'll post as a new thread
cheers Jon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…