SATA Floppy

Condom 12:19 03 Oct 09

Last year I rebuilt an old PC using a MSI K7N2 Delta 2 Platinum MoBo with An AMD 32 chip and a NVidia6800 Video Card running in XP SP3. For a second PC it seems to work OK but it was my first attempt using SATA. This MOBO has both SATA and IDE but I don't use the IDE at all.

As I did not have a floppy disk reader in the new machine I never installed the SATA drivers which I believe you are supposed to do using the floppy disk but everything seems to work OK although the BIOS shows things in IDE rather than SATA. I do not use RAID. I have now got a USB Floppy disk and I was wondering whether I should try loading the SATA floppy now or would this ask for trouble.

I don't really understand this floppy thing with SATA although I do know that the MoBo has SATA 1 rather than SATA 2 and my drives are pinned appropriately.

Eric10 12:33 03 Oct 09

The SATA drivers loaded from a floppy are only required for chipsets that have trouble recognising the SATA drives during Windows setup. Since you installed Windows without having to load them your motherboard doesn't need them. They are not used by Windows once it is installed as Windows has its own drivers.

Condom 14:06 03 Oct 09

Thanks Eric
That was clear. Guess I can now ditch the floppy. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…