sata external hard drive

henry2 09:39 24 Oct 10

Hi guys,
i have connected an externel sata hard drive to y pc(ide peripherarals)but the external drive does not show,is it it is sata.Does it aen i have to connect it to a sata pc before it will work.Thank you.
Or there could be something else i can do.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:33 24 Oct 10

Is it connected by sata cable to PC or by usb?

if sata cable you may need to enable some sata ports in the BIOS

jamesd1981 11:47 29 Oct 10

has the drive been formatted, if its brand new unformatted, it may not show up in windows till you format it to a filesystem

henry2 13:47 29 Oct 10

Hi Fruit Bat,
It is connected by usb to the pc.But when i tried it on another destop pc(sata peripherals)it showed up but was requiring drivers for it to work.Does that mean it can only work on the sata pc?
Thanx

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:41 29 Oct 10

USB external drive SATA or IDE should not require any drivers other than those built into windows XP and above.

It may be a power problem and you need to connect an external power supply or another USB cable to the external drive

or

A device driver problem
click here
usbdeview wil show all usb devices connected or not on your system

with the drive discconect use usbdeview to remove all usb device driver s shown as not connected
reboot the machine
reconnect the drive
windows should find and install new hardware to install the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…