SATA DVD drives

dangerusone 11:13 03 Jul 07

I wish to change my CD Writer (described as ATAPI) with a Liteon DVD Writer (described as SATA)
Would there be any difficulty with this. I don't understand a lot of the terminology. Many thanks in advance

crosstrainer 11:50 03 Jul 07

In order to use a SATA device, your motherboard must support the required connections, or you would have to purchase an additional card...what's your system spec and mobo?

dangerusone 17:43 03 Jul 07

crosstrainer

motherboard = Asrock K8upgrade-NF3

Sempron 2600+ socket 754

Windows XP

Is this enough info?

crosstrainer 17:57 03 Jul 07

Have the mobo manual? If so, look to see if it mentions sata support, the connections are different for power and data cables.

umbongo(uk) 17:59 03 Jul 07

yes you motherboard does surpport the drive
image of you motherboard below in link.if you click the tab to make larger you will see your sata connecters are located in the centre between the motherboards agp /pci slots
click here

just plug in drive

remember you need a sata cable some oem drives dont supplie them check link below
click here=
and sata power cable click link this is what one looks like you may have one already on your power supplie
click here

dangerusone 18:15 03 Jul 07

many thanks for the prompt help, I'll go ahead and order it (it's on eBay)
Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…