SATA Drives on new PC

GJM 23:11 05 Oct 05

I have an existing SATA drive that I want to retain with its crrent information and transfer as a second drive onto a New Motherboard with a new SATA drive (On the old type of system I would just of set it up as a slave drive but what do I do with an SATA system?

Chegs ® 23:41 05 Oct 05

Plug it in and hope.SATA needs no cfg as Master/Slave,it should simply boot from the old SATA.

GaT7 23:59 05 Oct 05

But if you need a tutorial, I've written a rough one (assuming you're using WinXP):

- Connect the new motherboard & new SATA drive, leaving out the old SATA drive (for now). The new SATA drive should be connected to the first/primary SATA connector (SATA 0 or SATA 1, depending on your mobo).

- Next install WinXP on the new SATA drive.

- Once the install is completed, shutdown the PC & connect the other SATA drive (to the secondary SATA connector - only one connector will be available anyway).

- Reboot PC & it should boot from your new SATA drive, with the old one now acting like a 'slave'.

- Check that this is the case in Disk Management. It should appear as Disk 0 (C:) Healty (System) - if you installed to C:. The second drive will appear as Disk 1 (D:) Healthy (Active). (The drive letters may differ depending on where the OS was installed & the number of partitions on both drives. Also, depending on your mobo Disk 0 & Disk 1 may appear as Disk 1 & Disk 2 respectively).

As far as I remember, the above is what I did to setup up a new SATA drive, & use the old drive (that was previously the main/boot drive) as a secondary drive. This is a pic of how the disks look in Disk Management click here. G

NOTE: If you want to setup SATA-RAID, you'll need to press F6 during Windows setup (assuming it's XP), & install the SATA-RAID drivers off a floppy. These drivers are normally available from the mobo website. If you need help locating them just let us know. If no RAID required, then ignore this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…