Sata drives -how many? and Raid?

Stroller 19:28 15 Sep 05

I have an Asrock K7VT4A pro Mobo,(XP Pro) which has 2 Sata connectors
I currently have two IDE, 1 x 80gig HDD (6 partitions)& 1 x 40gig HDD (6 Partitions).

can I install a Sata drive to run alongside the existing two IDE's, or do I have to remove one of them.

Also what is 'Raid'?
Can I install more than two Sata drives?

TIA,
Stroller

GaT7 21:00 15 Sep 05

"Can I install a Sata drive...remove one of them" - The simple answer is yes you can, without removing one of them (unless your case has no room, but this can be overcome). You will need SATA drivers click here.

"Also what is 'Raid'?" - click here.

"Can I install more than two Sata drives?" - Yes, you can, if you get a SATA PCI card click here. G

GaT7 21:57 15 Sep 05

Sorry, I should've mentioned the following as well:

SATA drives need different (to IDE) cables to connect to the mobo &, in most cases, a different power connector to the PSU too (though this can be overcome with molex to SATA adaptors).

Download the mobo PDF manual from (direct download!) click here. It should provide info on installation & configuration of SATA, RAID, plus related BIOS settings, etc. G

Stroller 17:31 16 Sep 05

Crossbow 7

thanks for the links, I will go for a 160 gig Sata drive to use for data storage until I need to do a re-install, then a 40 gig Sata will be used for C drive, with the current IDE drives used as backup.

Cheers,

Stroller

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…