SATA drives on asus p5n-e sli motherboard

liquidstool 11:45 28 Dec 07

greets,

i want to add another sata hard drive to this motherboard. currrently i have a 250gb master, a 500gb slave. the motherboard has connections for 4 sata drives, one red, one black, one red, one black. the c drive is connected to the first red socket, the slave drive is connected to the third socket (red).

Which socket can i plug the new hdd into?

i am using vista 64.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 28 Dec 07

They should be marked 1,2,3,4, as long as the drive with the op system is in the 1, then the others do not matter.

liquidstool 12:01 28 Dec 07

hi fruit bat, funny, i was just checking on some other replies you have left about adding extra hard drives...

anyway, originally i wanted to just move over some files from my master to the new hdd, rather than mess about i just unplugged the existing slave and tried to pug it in, when i rebooted i got the message "system error, no boot disc" or something similar, anyway i plugged the slave back in and got the same message, i kacked myself, rebooted a 3rd time and everything went ok.

When i plug the new one in should i get any probs? i just assumed that windows would recognise it and install it as a 3rd drive.

cheers for ur help and fast reply!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:12 28 Dec 07

When i plug the new one in should i get any probs? i just assumed that windows would recognise it and install it as a 3rd drive.

Yes It should, you may have to Initialise or format in device manager before it will show up in My Computer.

Once install f you use something like Acronis True image to copy the original drive to the new drive drive and then swap the connections over it shoud then boot from the new drive.

liquidstool 12:14 28 Dec 07

gotcha,

thx buddy :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…