SATA Drive for System Files ??

dregn 17:36 31 Oct 03

I am about to build a new PC using a Pentium4 2.6C on an Abit IC7-G motherboard.

I am contemplating using a WD Raptor 37GB SATA drive as master. Another 80GB WD IDE drive would be slave( Non SATA ). I would partition the Raptor into 3 and load the OS ( WinXP Pro )on the C drive and put applications and a Linux OS on the other two partitions.

I would propose using the slave drive for data, graphics etc.

Is this feasible and would I be utilising the supposed benefits of a SATA drive most efficiently ?

Any advice, comments or experience will be much appreciated.

GORAL 20:41 31 Oct 03

I am no expert but what you propose should work. However at the present time I believe there are very few devices indeen which are capable of taking advantage of what SATA drives promise. Obviously you are someone who likes to keep very much 'up to date'.

dregn 19:54 01 Nov 03

GORAL

Thanks for that,

I think I shall go down the route I have suggested. I'll report on the outcome.

Thanks again for your interest.

dregn

Rayuk 20:00 01 Nov 03

Just a quick note.
The new Raptor drives will be coming out end of Nov which I understand will be much faster than the originals.

click here

Chegs ? 22:11 01 Nov 03

I'm not 100% working in Linux,but I have 2 SATA drives and have been unsuccessfull trying to install Linux onto them(I have several distro's I've tried)As I couldn't get linux on to them,I had a little search on google and it would appear that you need to rework/build a kernel to get SATA.I would offer the link to the info but I have re-installed XP several dozen times since,as using SATA only hdd's to carry the OS proved really unstable,often requiring Repair/re-install after a 1st reboot after d/l updates,installing a GC driver,etc.I was thinking of asking how many of PCA users have tried installing an OS onto SATA hdd's,and had a reliable install.I presently use my "old" IDE hdd to carry the OS,and have the SATA hdd's used simply for vast storage(240 Gb's)for my attempts at getting to grips with video editting and its resulting large files. :-)

dregn 07:44 02 Nov 03

Rayuk and Chegs?

Thanks for your views and it looks as though I will have to rethink my proposed setup.
My idea was that putting the OS's on the faster drive would be the most efficient setup, but apparently this is beset with unwanted problems.
I appreciate that it is early days for SATA and no doubt the gremlins will be eradicated in time.
I had read that a WD Raptor of around 75GB is due later this month but I did not realise that it will be faster than it's smaller brother !
Many thanks for your input. I will bide my time, I think.

dregn

philwane 09:13 02 Nov 03

I had a new motherboard installed Gigabyte GA7NNXP
which has SATA
I fitted a Western Digital Raptor and installed my OS (Win XP) onto this I also have 2x20 Gig Hard Drives + DVD Player + DVD Writer on IDE and a 120 Gig Western Digital on the Raid Card I have been using this setup for 3 months now without a hitch

Steve- 09:23 02 Nov 03

I have an 2 ASUS A7Nx Delux board computers ,and have installed Win XP on the SATA Drive on both of them. I had to load the SATA drivers at the start of the setup sequence - XP Prompts for this so have the drivers ready on a floppy disc. I also had to set the BIOS boot sequence to Floppy then SCSI or they would still try to boot from any IDE discs present.

dregn 13:13 02 Nov 03

philwane and Steve-

Thanks for your input. Nice to know that your setups work ok.
philwane - have you just the OS on the Raptor drive or have you partitioned it and put apps on it as well ?
Is the speed and efficiency of your system improved compared with using a conventional HDD
and setup, would you say ?

dregn

philwane 15:09 02 Nov 03

No I just have the OS on the raptor I dont like partitioned hard drives (but thats just a personal preference)yes its much faster than my old system but I dont know if thats entirely due to the Raptor as I changed my MoBo at the same time but I am still using my old CPU (AMD1700+)and my old Memory (DDR 2100)

cycoze 15:26 02 Nov 03

could you possibly have a look at this thread please ? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…