SATA Drive Not Recognized

Tangent 22:27 19 Nov 03

My friend is installing a single WD ‘Raptor’ 10,000rpm SATA Drive on Asus A7N8X Deluxe Ver2.0 motherboard the operating System Windows XP Pro.

He has physically installed as per instructions, SATA jumper enabled on M/board. Installed Si3112r SATA controller driver (supplied by Asus for the A7N8X) as per instructions for XP existing installation.

The drive was initially recognised but no disk driver, then installed driver on reboot, then failed to find drive on subsequent reboots, with windows locking up on first boot up screen. (Only way to run Windows is with jumper setting on m/board set to SATA disabled)using the second hard drive which is IDE. It also aperrs impossible to run the SATA as Master & an IDE as Slave.

cycoze 22:43 19 Nov 03

The Si3112r is a Raid driver for SATA , you need to install Si3112 for the SATA drive !

Also make sure that the boot order within the bios is set to SCSI and not hdd.

Jean-Luc Picard 22:44 19 Nov 03

If you have not already done so try installing your o/s on a small say 10 GB partition on your SATA drive. It worked for me, my drive was 120 Gig.

Tangent 22:45 19 Nov 03

Checking those two out thanks.

Tangent 23:26 19 Nov 03

I have since been informed that the drive is now making a clicking noise every few moments so it looks it may be faulty. The driver is correct and if & when it has booted with the SATA drive enabled the driove has shown correctly in Device Manager in the SCSI etc section.

cycoze 23:40 19 Nov 03

Clicking noise certainly doesent sound good !

In device manager the SATA drive would show in `disk drives` the SCSI section would be the `SCSI and RAID controllers` in here would be listed the Si3112 SATA controller driver , and also the Si3112r RAID controller driver .

Once the Motherboard and bios have been setup for SATA , you can go ahead with XP installation where you will be asked for SATA/raid drivers , if your not using RAID then dont bother with the drivers , just use the SATA driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…