Sata drive in an enclosure

squareye 00:29 13 Oct 06

Hi everyone,
My son needs a portable hard drive at least 250gb,to transfer video work to his comp from University equipment.It's to have firewire and usb.
I've been looking at either a ready made,a Freecom one maybe like here
click here
or a caddy Raidsonic Icy boxlike here
click here
and choice of hd,I was thinking of a Seagate Baccaruder of some sort.Ide drives all look straightforward, but Sata looks quicker, is it?
Can a Sata drive go in a caddy and use firewire/usb? If so,which & where?
I think he's got a Sata hd in his comp, I'm not sure of his set-up yet-just got it.
Any advice most welcome, cheers

Totally-braindead 00:37 13 Oct 06

click here this will answer some of your questions. SATA is faster than IDE but once you connect via USB 2.0 I can't say if in practise you would notice any difference.
But I'm sure someone will know.

terryf 01:16 13 Oct 06

I don't think you will notice any difference in speed unless you are transferring ginormous files or folders and using a stopwatch. IMO file transfers take as long as they need and it depends on what other file activities are taking place

DieSse 01:51 13 Oct 06

The (maximum burst) transfer rates of all types of hard drive is far faster than USB2 - so it doesn't matter at all from a speed perspective which type of drive is used, it'll be limited by the USB2 speed.

It would make some kind of sense to use the same interface type as the drive used inside the system however - just in case he would ever need to switch drives around.

Totally-braindead 12:09 13 Oct 06

Thats what I was wondering DieSse. I wasn't sure about the relative speeds of the hard drives and USB 2.0. I suspected this was the case.

squareye 23:08 13 Oct 06

Thanks everyone, I've found a drive with a sata port as well as usb, sata to sata would seem to be quickest,
click here

DieSse 23:25 13 Oct 06

If you want an externally available SATA port to plug the device into, be sure to purchase one of the adapter plates. It's unlikely there's one already on the syste.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…