SATA drive disappears when restarting

jaydoubleyou 23:13 22 Oct 06

A few months ago I bought a SATA drive for my main PC, which at the time was booting from an IDE drive, so the SATA was just a spare drive. I noticed a very odd problem - if I selected 'restart' the machine would come back without the SATA drive, however if I shut down, then turned the machine back on, the drive reappeared.
Now I've decided to boot from the SATA, as the IDE drive is needed elsewhere - I thought possibly that making it the only drive, and making it bootable, would solve the problem, however it still happens - if I try restarting I get the 'disk boot error, insert system disk' message.
I've gone into the BIOS to see if there's anything that might cause any problems, but cannot see any problems, I've made sure the drive is the first boot device, but nothing seems to sort the problem out. There's a Compaq splash screen that comes up immediately on boot up, with options to select the boot device or go into setup (i.e. the bios) - when I select boot device and have just done a restart only the DVD ROM is in there. The PC is a Compaq Presario with an MSI MS-7184 motherboard with an Athlon 64 processor if that helps.
It's no biggie, after all I do have a workaround, it would just be nice to be able to do a simple restart from time to time.

phil46 01:09 23 Oct 06

Have you put the Sata drivers in?? sata drives appear as ch2 as a rule

terryf 01:24 23 Oct 06

Have you installed an os on the sata drive?

jaydoubleyou 11:46 23 Oct 06

I didn't actually get any drivers with the disk when I bought it - when I go into the boot menu the SATA drive appears on Channel 3 (as a master), with the CD on Channel 2 (again as a master).
It has 2 OSs on there - XP and Vista, both of which boot up with no problem whatsoever (as long as I've shut down of course).

terryf 12:34 23 Oct 06

I wonder if your problem is a conflict between XP and vista, should you have one or the other?

Ashrich 12:48 23 Oct 06

The SATA drivers will be on the motherboard resources disk ( CD ) that came with your computer , if not , or you haven'y got it any more go to the motherboard manufacturers website and download them and put them on a floppy , boot from the XP disk to do a repair and it will ask for any specific drivers for SCSI or Raid ( press f6 ) say yes by pressing f6 and put in the floppy , a little later ity will read the floppy disk and give you the option of loading the correct drivers , do that and carry on with the repair . The drive will always be seen in the bios but not by the OS properly until the drivers are there .

Ashley

jaydoubleyou 14:06 23 Oct 06

It's definitely not the OS, because it doesn't even get as far as loading the OS when the drive disappears. Compaq are tightarses and don't supply any CDs so I'll try and track down the drivers as suggested above.

jaydoubleyou 21:10 23 Oct 06

I went onto the HP website looking for SATA drivers and noticed that the latest BIOS update resolves 'restart issues'. Hmmm... Downloaded it, ran it, now the PC restarts and remembers it's got a disc to boot from!
Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…