Sata Drive Compatability

rupie 17:29 29 Oct 07

I need to install 2 new SATA drives in my PC. It is for a raid upgrade. GIGabyte GA-8ANXP-D motherboard. It will only take SATA I drives, but the market is mainly full of SATA II drives. How can I find out which drives are compatible as I know some do not have the jumper settings to be able to be backwards compatable.

GaT7 20:21 29 Oct 07

Before purchasing, check the new drives manufacturer's website for the exact model numbers - their specs/data sheets will usually tell you whether they can be used in SATA I motherboards or not (with or w/o the jumper setting). G

I am Spartacus 20:32 29 Oct 07

Good article here click here see section 4.2

rupie 22:45 29 Oct 07

After looking at Wikpedia it would appear that NCQ functions are the key to compatability between sataI motherboards and sata II drives and in the Faqs section of the support site for my board says the following:

Does the SATA controller on my MB support the "SATA NCQ" feature?

Based on chipset specification, GIGABYTE motherboard that comes with Intel ICH6R & ICH6RW, ICH7R, nVIDIA nFORCE4 SLI & Ultra controller will support SATA NCQ (Native Command Queuing) feature. When you install the SATA HDD which also supports NCQ feature on our MB comes with the controller as mentioned above, NCQ function will be enabled automatically while system power up.

When I built the PC I spent ages researching the best Motherboard I could find as I knew it was the most important part of the system and this board has just suppassed all expectations. It has 8 SATA Ports on 2 controllers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now