SATA drive + CD-ROM

Enkel 20:21 07 Nov 05

I recently installed a SATA drive on my PC. I reset the BIOS to pick it up, which it does OK, showing it as IDE2 (IDE0 is my existing Hard Disk and IDE1 my CD-ROM). After Windows has booted up the CD-ROM has disappeared! I want to format the SATA drive to dual-boot, but that can only be done by Partition Magic or Disk Director or something of the sort, which is on CD. So I have a Catch22 situation. If I boot from CD-ROM the whole shebang just dies out once Windows is underway.

What do I have to do to get both a SATA drive and a CD-ROM appearing in Windows, please?

phil46 00:32 08 Nov 05

Your SATA drive IDE0 looks wrong,i'm to understand that SATA drives should be CH2 or above as mine is my DVD drive is CH1.

Enkel 17:16 08 Nov 05

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. IDE0 is my existing PATA drive - the "old" one. The SATA drive comes up as IDE2. Not as either CH1 or CH2 - I guess your motherboard or BIOS is different from mine. The motherboard is a Gigabyte P4 Titan series and the BIOS is Award 6.00. Further suggestions gratefully received. At the moment the SATA disk is sitting in my computer unconnected and is just so much junk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…