SATA 150 and 300 HDD

Procrastinus 17:16 22 Sep 06

What is the difference between SATA 150 and SATA 300 hard drives and is it possible to use them both in the same PC (Dell Dimension 5150 + XP SP2)? Thanks.

brundle 17:36 22 Sep 06

SATA1 = 150, SATAII = 300, refers to theoretical maximum data transfer rate. As far as I'm aware a motherboard that only supports SATA1 will still work with a SATA2 drive, but only at SATA1 speeds. I was checking the same thing out this morning for my SATA1 motherboard.

ade.h 18:09 22 Sep 06

For that, I think you would need a switchable drive that allows selection of 150 or 300 modes, such as the Samsungs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 22 Sep 06

SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…