Sata 1 HDDs into Sata 2 PC

Large JD 20:17 17 Nov 13

Hello PC Advisor,

I'm about to replace my almost extinct XP Pro desktop, with a Windows 7 Pro desktop and could do with a bit of info.

Firstly: I have two existing sata 1 HDD's in the old pc,(both contain data but are non-os drives), can I simply unplug and plug into the new pc with sata 2 sockets?

Second: If so, will I need to wipe these drives first? Lot of data on them so I hope I don't have too!

Third: The new desktop is an i3, running W7 Pro 64 bit, 4G memory, with dual onboard display. Can I run the 2 monitors via the board without any problems? Or should I add memory or add a dual display graphics card?

Lastly: I plan to use my existing monitor(s) Acer AL1916w, will these simply plug in and work?

All help gratefully received :-)

LargeJD

retep888™ 00:21 18 Nov 13

<< Firstly: I have two existing sata 1 HDD's in the old pc,(both contain data but are non-os drives), can I simply unplug and plug into the new pc with sata 2 sockets? >>

Yes, you can. They're backward compatible.

<< Second: If so, will I need to wipe these drives first? Lot of data on them so I hope I don't have too! >>

No, you don't have to, just plug & play.

<< Third: The new desktop is an i3, running W7 Pro 64 bit, 4G memory, with dual onboard display. Can I run the 2 monitors via the board without any problems? Or should I add memory or add a dual display graphics card? >>

That'll depend on what dual onboard display the motherboard has, dual monitors should run using the D-sub (VGA) and either DVI-D or HDMI, the DVI and HDMI can not both display at the same time. Or you can use DVI-D or HDMI with display port. If not you might have to add a dual display graphic card.

<< Lastly: I plan to use my existing monitor(s) Acer AL1916w, will these simply plug in and work? >>

Yes but you might have to get VGA to DVI/HDMI adapter if either the onboard or dedicated graphic card doesn't have VGA connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…