Sata 1 HDDs into Sata 2 PC

Large JD 20:17 17 Nov 13

Hello PC Advisor,

I'm about to replace my almost extinct XP Pro desktop, with a Windows 7 Pro desktop and could do with a bit of info.

Firstly: I have two existing sata 1 HDD's in the old pc,(both contain data but are non-os drives), can I simply unplug and plug into the new pc with sata 2 sockets?

Second: If so, will I need to wipe these drives first? Lot of data on them so I hope I don't have too!

Third: The new desktop is an i3, running W7 Pro 64 bit, 4G memory, with dual onboard display. Can I run the 2 monitors via the board without any problems? Or should I add memory or add a dual display graphics card?

Lastly: I plan to use my existing monitor(s) Acer AL1916w, will these simply plug in and work?

All help gratefully received :-)

LargeJD

retep888™ 00:21 18 Nov 13

<< Firstly: I have two existing sata 1 HDD's in the old pc,(both contain data but are non-os drives), can I simply unplug and plug into the new pc with sata 2 sockets? >>

Yes, you can. They're backward compatible.

<< Second: If so, will I need to wipe these drives first? Lot of data on them so I hope I don't have too! >>

No, you don't have to, just plug & play.

<< Third: The new desktop is an i3, running W7 Pro 64 bit, 4G memory, with dual onboard display. Can I run the 2 monitors via the board without any problems? Or should I add memory or add a dual display graphics card? >>

That'll depend on what dual onboard display the motherboard has, dual monitors should run using the D-sub (VGA) and either DVI-D or HDMI, the DVI and HDMI can not both display at the same time. Or you can use DVI-D or HDMI with display port. If not you might have to add a dual display graphic card.

<< Lastly: I plan to use my existing monitor(s) Acer AL1916w, will these simply plug in and work? >>

Yes but you might have to get VGA to DVI/HDMI adapter if either the onboard or dedicated graphic card doesn't have VGA connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac