Sata 1 controller with Sata 2 drives

kevdsn 12:49 07 Oct 06

Hi,

I need to add a large 500GB drive to my PC which does not have a SATA motherboard, I have found many SATA 1 PCI controllers on ebay, but most the drives I have found have been SATA 2, my question is will a SATA2 drive function if connected to a SATA 1 PCI card, I'm aware I will only get a transfer rate of 1.5GB/s instead of the SATA 2 3.0GB/s but this would be fine if it works, I need the drive for video editing so SATA is preferable. I have asked many of the sellers on ebay, but they all say "dont know". I take it from looking around that no standard PCI SATA2 controllers exist, I take it that PCI cant support the speed.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I dont want to spend a large wedge of cash to find it wont work.

Many thanks

Kev

James. 13:42 07 Oct 06
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:53 07 Oct 06

SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…