The Sasser worm, Trojans and viruses.

LastChip 21:32 04 May 04

Tonight I read an estimated 500,000 computers (so far!) have been infected by the Sasser worm.

Symantec have upgraded the threat to 4 (out of 5) click here for further information.

Today it brought down among others the Coastguard computer system, but they added there were no threats to rescue operations. Various universities in the USA have been virtually brought to a halt, but I haven't yet seen any reports of British uni's being so affected. However, my children's school system collapsed, after the local education authority infected the system for them!!

Many of you will know, that it only affects Windows 2000 and XP machines, most other operating systems are unaffected.

It crossed my mind, that recently, this has started to be a pattern with virus writers, that W2K and XP are vulnerable, whereas the older operating systems are being passed by.

Perhaps it time for everyone to degrade to Windows 98(se) or better still, use Linux ;-)

stalion 21:34 04 May 04

or zx spectrum lol

Lionheart ? 21:36 04 May 04

Maybe it is easier to right a virus for W2K and XP, than Windows 98 :)

Dan the Confused 21:51 04 May 04

I realise that some people get a buzz out of writing malicious code like the Sasser Worm etc to bring down computer systems, but I wonder if these people know that they're also putting people's live's at risk?

jakimo 21:58 04 May 04

I bought the full edition of xp home 3 months age,but have not installed it as it seems to be more prone to bugs\security problems\virus attacks\and hackers than any other OS

woodchip 22:00 04 May 04

Or like me use 98se on the net and use XP just for inhouse

stalion 22:07 04 May 04

just as we should not give in to terrorist threats nor should we give in to the despicable people that write these viruses, onward and upward windows xp

Cook2 23:11 04 May 04

Get the latest Avast Cleaner (the Sasser worm is now included for detection and deletion).

click here

Cook2 23:13 04 May 04

I meant to add the list of viruses that can be removed with this tool.

List of known worms
avast! Virus Cleaner is currently (in version 1.0.187) able to identify and remove the following worm families:

Win32:Badtrans [Wrm]
Win32:Beagle [Wrm] (aka Bagle), variants A-L, U, W-Z
Win32:Blaster [Wrm] (aka Lovsan), variants A-M
Win32:BugBear [Wrm], including B and E variant
Win32:Ganda [Wrm]
Win32:Klez [Wrm], all variants (including variants of Win32:Elkern)
Win32:MiMail [Wrm], variants A, C, E, I-N, Q, S-U
Win32:Mydoom [Wrm] (variants A, B, D, F-J - including the trojan horse)
Win32:Nachi [Wrm] (aka Welchia, variants A-G)
Win32:NetSky [Wrm] (aka Moodown, variants A-Z)
Win32:Nimda [Wrm]
Win32:Opas [Wrm] (aka Opasoft, Opaserv)
Win32:Sasser [Wrm] (variants A-D)
Win32:Scold [Wrm]
Win32:Sircam [Wrm]
Win32:Sober [Wrm], variants A-F
Win32:Sobig [Wrm], including variants B-F
Win32:Swen [Wrm], including UPX-packed variants
Win32:Yaha [Wrm] (aka Lentin), all variants

Doogie Howser 08:00 05 May 04

If your XP installation has all the up to date patches you will not get infected - according to microsoft. Don't know whether anyone has contradictory evidence?

SEASHANTY 11:09 05 May 04

Also mentioned on blackvipers website
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…