Sasser Virus Help with removal

Kase 14:30 12 Jul 04

I am being told that the Sasser Virus has over 30 variants!!. I understand the last version from threads on this forum was G.
Question a) How can you tell which version has infected your computer?

b)Is it possible to obtain a removal tool that deals with all known varients to date.

c) Which is the best site to obtain a removal tool.

My son has telephoned me for help apparently he was installing his Bt Broadband and registering on line then found the Sasser virus had downloaded on his Computer his O/s is Windows 2000. He tells me he did have a firewall on but a ten second gap! allowed the Virus access. I can only presume his Antivirus could not have been up todate or he would have had protection
Kase

Cuddles 14:36 12 Jul 04

Try this click here

VoG II 14:37 12 Jul 04

Start, Run, type in

shutdown -a

and click OK. That should prevent it from rebooting.

Use Stinger click here

Get all Windows Critical Updates

Cuddles 14:38 12 Jul 04

Or this click here

zootmo 15:06 12 Jul 04

but VoG is correct shutdown-a to stop a re-boot and run stinger n.b.does your son update his computer via Microsoft, they patched against the sasser on 2000 in May Download on a clean machine "stinger" and MS's patch run stinger and then the patch......and that's it!

Kase 17:59 12 Jul 04

Thank you cuddles, VoG (Tm), zootmo. I have passed on your advice to my son who will be at his computer tonight and I will keep you posted on the results. He has only just got this computer. The o/s Windows 2000 had not been updated as up to registering with Bt the machine had not been connected to the Net so no updates via MS or any other programmes. As I have said he was setting up his Bt Broadband first then I think he was going to carry out MS and Antivirus (Norton) updates but he did not get to that stage as the Virus downloaded on registration. He now knows that he should have carried out the softwear updates first!!.
Kase

Kase 18:28 12 Jul 04

cuddles, VoG, zootmo re your replies have tried start,run,type in

shut down -a

The following comes up:- 'cannot find the file "shut down" (or one of its components) make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available' any thoughts on this please.

Kase

VoG II 18:29 12 Jul 04

all one word "shutdown"

Kase 18:36 12 Jul 04

Thanks for you reply VoG spelling my fault just checked with No1 son by Telephone he is typing shutdown all one word

Kase

VoG II 18:42 12 Jul 04

Sorry, it works in XP. Maybe it isn't present in W2K.

VoG II 19:00 12 Jul 04

Sorry, yes only works with XP.

He needs to get the patch click here

and then run Stinger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac