sasser virus

johnnyrocker 23:50 03 May 04

would appear to be running rampant, and is purported to be one of the most virulent around does not arrive by mail just sits on the net and waits for a silly bugger with insufficient cover.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 00:00 04 May 04

be warned.

johnny.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:42 04 May 04

To expand......the MS official fix can be downloaded from click here and your AV's should have been updated by the writers (assuming you have updated them).

G

gudgulf 00:50 04 May 04

Surely no-one using this site would neglect to update anything???????

Dan the Confused 01:23 04 May 04

Someone in an earlier thread had the Sasser Worm and was fixed easily after I provided the click here link.

Dan the Confused 01:35 04 May 04

I think the latest Ad-Aware update gets rid of it as well :)

johnnyrocker 07:06 04 May 04

not so bretheren it would appear there is a semi harmless worm going the rounds but a far more serious virus of very similar name which has attracted national publication. as i said be warned.

johnny.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:29 04 May 04

To expand again....sasser will not wreck your computer and 95/98 and ME computers will not be affected by it but they can spread it.

If you do get it you need to turn off system restore and go to click here for the removal tool but you still have to apply the MS patch afterwards or you could be re-infected.

The virus will hit a computer that is just browsing so there are no .exes to trigger it. It will enter through the port that you are using to browse so, in spite of firewalls blocking ports 445, 5554, 9996 , they will not stop it (as many compnaies have just found out.) The MS patch (2mb+) will stop it.

G

swapper 07:35 04 May 04

How about WinXP?

cagey 08:22 04 May 04

Bump

Agent Smith 08:46 04 May 04

Thanks for info guys, my firewall, AVG, AdAware, spybot and spywareblaster are all up to date. These days I check daily for updates, but I will inform my dippy cousins and friends who use me to "sort out" their problems. Then they blame me a week later for causing their modem or CD drive to fail saying it was alright until you fixed it. Sound familiar?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…