Sasser recovery !

dm001s7685 22:05 05 Jan 05

Hi everyone,
I am a relative novice to solving pc problems, and i would welcome any advice on helping me solve my problem. I recently had Broadband installed, and at the same time contracted the sasser virus. I managed to stop my PC from repeatedly closing down, and I then also purchased Norton antivirus 2004 to help clean up my pc. It seems to have done the job, however I have been advised that if i have certain .exe files in my task manager (which i do- Isass.exe) I still have the virus. I have tried to close this application but the system will not allow me to stop it each time i try to end the application. I have tried to install Windows service pack 2 on several occasions but this keeps failing also.
I am on the verge of calling in the cavalary (pc world) but i would like to try and solve this myself (hopefully with your help!)

Thank you in advance for your help

Danny

VoG II 22:11 05 Jan 05

Cavalry (PC World) - NOT.

Try running Stinger click here

THE TERMINATOR 22:32 05 Jan 05

Whatever you do, don't ring the rip-off merchants all the help you need is here click here and click here but for your info I cannot end Isass.exe neither-and I have no virus's....TT

VoG II 22:33 05 Jan 05

Quite right sir.

If you have Lsass.exe running, that is a different matter.

dm001s7685 23:00 06 Jan 05

Thanks for your help - the links have been a great help and have ridden my system of 6 trojan horse virus's. Two problems remain though!
My clock goes out of sync each time i shut down the PC! I have reset it 6 times to no avail. Also
I am still unable to download Windows XP service pack 2 though! It keeps telling me that the program key is not suitable to download the service pack and I should visit howtotell.com for info...tried it but it might as well be in mandarin chinese for all the sense it makes!

Thanks for helping anyway VoG and The Terminator

PS Point taken over pc world.

Danny

sat481 23:27 06 Jan 05

The Isass.exe that you have running may not be ISASS.exe but LSASS.exe. The following link explains why it is safe.
click here
Since looking in the task manager I and l look the same. The way to tell is click is to open the task manager, go to the processes and then sort by image names (Click on "image name" title to do this). You will be to tell by the position that the file is placed then whether it is an L or an I.

Hope this helps..

Sat

gudgulf 00:32 07 Jan 05

If your clock keeps going wrong it may be that the motherboard battery is failing...as for the SP2 problem you may be one of the unfortunate people who have purchased a pc with one of the "dodgy" copies of Xp that Microsoft have blocked the product key on.This means that you will not be able to install SP2.Can you get routine windows updates through the Windows update website? Since you have mentioned PCWorld, did you get the pc from there and did it come with XP pre-installed?

dm001s7685 10:56 07 Jan 05

hi sat481 and gudulf,

Thanks for the reply, Firstly the item in my task manager is definately Isass.exe, and now i have read feedback from here, I am quite happy to know that other users have it and it does not seem to be affecting my system too much. What I am more concerned about is the fact that my clock is out of sync and that Xp service pack 2 will not install. In response to gudulf my pc was built by 3 years ago by an former workmate who is a pc technician. I also get offerd updates by the website and on my control panel, but when it gets to the final stage of installation it comes up with the "incorrect installation key go to howtotell for more details"

I think i will have to admit defeat on this one
though, the unwashed dishes in my kitchen sink are almost as tall as me!

Thanks again for your help guys !

Danny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…