sasser process names:

ayrmail 17:18 16 May 04

Is lsasss.exe the same as lsass.exe or is this just how this virus hide its self by using very similar names to actual system process.

Diodorus Siculus 17:25 16 May 04

Lsass.exe is different to Isass.exe

(the first is L; the second an uppercase i).

the L is the valid system file as far as I remember.

spuds 17:29 16 May 04

Here's a virus information site, which covers a good range of virus's and other facts.Possibly worth a look in the A-Z listings click here

ayrmail 17:33 16 May 04

The one you thought was an upper case I is a lower case l and it appears in the processes area of task manager the other from a web page telling you that this is what to look for. The difference between them is one extra s.

ayrmail 18:02 16 May 04

bertiecharlie 18:16 16 May 04

Lsasss.exe is the W 32 Sasser.E.Worm.

Lsass.exe is the Local Security Authentification Server.

bertiecharlie 18:44 16 May 04

You are right to think that certain viruses will hide themselves by using process names similar to legitimate processes. Some will use the exact name and to be sure a process is legitimate you need to check the file path.

For example : The W32.Nimos.Worm "hides" as Lsass.exe. The only way to be 100% sure of Lsass.exe is to check the filepath is C:\Windows\System32\Lsass.exe

ayrmail 20:53 16 May 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…