SAS shows many Adware cookies

Muergo 17:51 PM 16 Nov 11
Answered

SAS which I have on a regular timed scan shows up Adware cookies as threats, but can they do any harm at all. I routinely delete them all as they were described as threats but am I deleting something which might be useful if left on. I wish there was a way for the program to differentiate between real nasty threats and not marketing tools if that's all they are.

rdave13 18:15 PM 16 Nov 11

Select custom scan and you can untick cookies.

Muergo 18:29 PM 16 Nov 11

OK rdave, but would that lower the security level?, what I want to know is if there could be any malware in these cookies or are they all harmless?

rdave13 18:34 PM 16 Nov 11

There could be malware that's why I run in default mode and delete all it finds.

john bunyan 18:39 PM 16 Nov 11
Answer

I delete all SAS tracking cookies, in fact I use CCleaner as well which deletes all cookies and I find no problems. I have Spywareblaster as well, and have (in IE9) implimented Tools/ Safety /Tracking Protection and have installed a couple of the blockers on offer. All this has reduced the tracking cookies found by SAS to about 2.

Muergo 18:57 PM 16 Nov 11

Thanks a lot rdave and john b, that's all I wanted to know, I'll go along with you and keep monitoring and deleting them, I don't know why so many get through for SAS to pick up unless they are via Firefox, I am running FF as well as IE9 because of continuing graphisc problems with FF.

I am a bit wary of CCleaner as I overdeleted once and lost some files I needed to keep, I'm not fussy about getting every bit of disc space available as this new (ish) PC I bought has a 1Tb hard drive which is way over what I need.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites