Sapphire Graphics card

SmiffyRebel 22:46 28 Jul 04

I seem to have a compatability problem with a Sapphire Radeon (ATi) 9600 Atlantis 128Mb occasionally when I boot the PC I get a display but more often than not I do not get any display at all that includes the POST screen also no bleeps as the PC goes through POST.
My Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VKML I also have a pinnacle capture card and a Creative Live 5.1 sound card removing these does not make the slightest difference I also have an old Geoforce 2GTS graphics card which works ok. If anyone has had a similar problem and cured it could you please let me know.
Cheers

hugh-265156 02:13 29 Jul 04

if you have tried another make of card and it works ok from post screen thru to windows then maybe the 9600 is faulty.

at the post screen no drivers have actually loaded so i doubt its graphics card driver or windows related, ensure you have the latest motherboard drivers installed.

disconnect any svideo tv out leads from the card and just connect the pc vga monitor, does this help?

contact click here for repair or replacement

SmiffyRebel 23:55 30 Jul 04

Thanks for the advice but I have already tried returning the graphics card and have been told by CCL that the card is OK I have also found that when I connect the monitor to the motherboard VGA I get the post screen but nothing after that I am going to have a look at the settings in the BIOS to see if there is anything there that may be upsetting the VGA output , if the worst comes to the worst I may try formatting the harddrive and re-installing windows. Not as drastic as it sounds as I have my docs on the slave harddrive

hugh-265156 01:50 31 Jul 04

did you upgrade to this card from the motherboards onboard graphics? if so they need to be disabled.

most motherboards do this automatically when you insert a new graphics card but if yours did not then this is what you need to do.

physically remove the graphics card again.

next turn on the computer and click 'start/all programs' look here for any reference to your old onboard via prosavage graphics driver and uninstall it, when it says you need to restart windows click no.

next (if you have xp) click 'start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager' and look here for your onboard via device and right click it and choose 'properties/general' then in the 'device usage' box choose 'do not use /disable' click ok and then click no again when prompted to restart. instead shut down and turn off.

insert the new card again and turn on the computer. enter the bios straight away (will say on screen which key to press) and look in the 'advanced/chipset menu' for shared memory or similar and set to disable. save and exit the bios and install the new ati graphics drivers.

helmetshine 07:15 31 Jul 04

From what i understand Nvidia and ATI drivers don't sit too well together on the same machine...if your old GTS card still works the old drivers must still be installed....d/load Drivercleaner...use it to remove all traces of the old Nvidia drivers and then install the Radeon and it's drivers.

harps1h 07:34 31 Jul 04

are you able to try it in another computer to check that it is not the card?
i had a similar prblem with the 256mb version of the same card, although it turned out to be faulty ram modules on it, but it also would not boot the computer at all, not even the post screen either
you don't say whether the system is continuing to boot up normally or not.

SmiffyRebel 10:58 31 Jul 04

The motherboard VGA boot setting is set to auto. Last night I got the card to boot ok after I re-formatted the harddrive however this morning when I switched on the PC the same fault occured ( no output from the graphics card ) . Without ascreen I cannot tell what is happening but going by the harddrive light the PC seems to be going through the boot sequence also there are no bleeps on startup which leads me to believe that the PC is finding the graphics card
Thanks for all your replies and any further advice would be welcome

harps1h 08:00 01 Aug 04

you either need to test this card in another computer or tedt a diiferent card in your machine to rule out the card as your problem

harps1h 08:09 01 Aug 04

when you say that you think it is booting up ok, do you hear the xp signature tune. also the machine may find the card but that does not say it is working.
had a look at your mobo specs and there doesn't seem to be anything there to suggest that it should not work on it.
also when your reformatted did you load everything back on or just the drivers for the card alone?

SmiffyRebel 09:50 01 Aug 04

I have not yet re-installed windows so the failure of the VGA card to boot is not affected by drivers as such, another interesting point is that I cannot find the BIOS setting to disable the on board VGA and was wondering if this is the problem. Futher to my last response I booted the PC last night and the video card fired up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…