Sandisk 4GB drives

Marise 20:11 13 Feb 06

Having bought a Sandisk 4GB drive from ebuyer at a bargain price of £90, I saved around 1.2GB of data onto it. After 2 days, the data is corrup and unreadable, most sub folders are named 00000000000 and contain only damaged files. After investigating on the Ebuyer comments for this item, it would seem that there are fake products around. I have spoken to Sandisk and they will send me a file to test the drive, but bearing in mind that Everest sees it as a 1023GB drive, I do think I have a dud.
Has anyone else experienced similar and how can this happen with a Company such as Ebuyer?

Totally-braindead 20:31 13 Feb 06

How can this happen to a company such as Ebuyer you ask. Well I don't like Ebuyer and would not use them again but to be fair they have presumably bought these "copied" sandisk drives from a supplier who perhaps has also been conned. It can happen to any company and there is no way they can possibly check every item that comes in except to give it a once over to check the box contains what it is meant to and the amount it is meant to.
If this drive proves to be a copy then you will have to send it back to Ebuyer for refund or replacement. After of course going through there lengthy Enote returns request procedure, then you will have a wait while the actually check the item.

Marise 20:41 13 Feb 06

Ok, but if the item does prove to be a fake, then surelly they will have to refund me immediately? Should I involve trading standards? I accept what you say that they too have been taken in, but I thought that in the eyes of the law "ignorance is no defense"?

hzhzhz 20:46 13 Feb 06

E-buyer should refund you, then E-buyer will return faulty goods to their supplier.

Totally-braindead 20:48 13 Feb 06

I'm sorry but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. You don't even know whether this drive is a copy or not and already you're thinking about trading standards. Wait and see when you get the test file from Sandisk and see what it says.

I think its just wait and see time now, I wish I'd not mentioned the Enote system as I've obviously got you upset.

Marise 20:54 13 Feb 06

OK, Thank you, blood pressure getting back to normal. Will post tomorrow, sincere thanks for advice

Marise 12:38 14 Feb 06

Sandisk US have now confirmed, both by telephone and their ebox system that this drive if counterfeit. It is a fake. Ebuyer say that they are aware of the allegation, that they have fully investigated it and that these drives are not fake. They refuse to even look at the sandisk evidence. These drives should sell for around £150 UK pounds, Sandisk told me this.
I will never deal with ebuyer again and am now investigating how to contact trading standards.

Vash 10:11 28 Feb 06

I know for a fact that this stock is counterfeit and is not the first time Ebuyer has be caught out with it.

The stock WILL NOT have come through an authorised Sandisk Distribution Channel.

This is not possible and if by some freak chance counterfeit stock did reach any authorised Sandisk channel it would be spotted and instantly quarantined.

The fake stock in question is quite easy to spot.
The most common are the SD cards.

This is how a real card looks notice the 1.0GB

[url]click here[/url]

The fake will say 1GB not 1.0 and the sticker will also be quite easy to peel off. Real Sandisk stickers have a very flat professional finish. I also believe the Real stickers are metal backed

Also a real give away is on the back of all Sandisk cards you will have a serial number and made in china printed on.

Even the packaging is a dead give away.
Sandisk. Real Sandisk blister packaging will have a constant heat seal pressing around the out side of the entire packing so good that i doubt air can get out.
The fake heat sealing is very hit and miss, also the fake packaging will not even stand up on a desk. Just a little wobble and fall or a slanted balance at best.

These cards were probably offered very cheap from a far eastern copy house and Ebuyer probably took the opportunity to make some extra month.

These cards will not receive any after sales support from Sandisk or any of its corporate channels.

Have a great day y'all

Vash T S

Marise 11:41 28 Feb 06

Oh thank you Vash. Such an important issue seems just too important for the IT community not to be aware or even the least bit interested in. Unfortunately, most of the people on this forum are more concerned with being politically correct and under no circumstances to upset or speak badly about any supplier. Stands to reason really, As PC Advisor obviously earn revenues from advertising as well as the freebies they get to evaluate (providing they rate them 5 Stars).
Sandisk confirmed to me that without a shadow of doubt, these are fake drives. Ebuyer refuse to acknowledge or even address this issue. Trading standards simply do not have the technical know how and with Sandisk not having a UK base, can only get limited help from them. Have posted to Ebuyer reviews, but would you believe, they fail to appear. So beware consumers. It would appear that the IT world is closing ranks and protecting its own!!! How bizarre, and in the meanwhile Ebuyer selling useless junk at nearly £100. I think Ebuyer has become confused and think they are Ebay! And what is the intelligent and active PC Advisor forum doing about it ?????

Marise 11:41 28 Feb 06

Oh thank you Vash. Such an important issue seems just too important for the IT community not to be aware or even the least bit interested in. Unfortunately, most of the people on this forum are more concerned with being politically correct and under no circumstances to upset or speak badly about any supplier. Stands to reason really, As PC Advisor obviously earn revenues from advertising as well as the freebies they get to evaluate (providing they rate them 5 Stars).
Sandisk confirmed to me that without a shadow of doubt, these are fake drives. Ebuyer refuse to acknowledge or even address this issue. Trading standards simply do not have the technical know how and with Sandisk not having a UK base, can only get limited help from them. Have posted to Ebuyer reviews, but would you believe, they fail to appear. So beware consumers. It would appear that the IT world is closing ranks and protecting its own!!! How bizarre, and in the meanwhile Ebuyer selling useless junk at nearly £100. I think Ebuyer has become confused and think they are Ebay! And what is the intelligent and active PC Advisor forum doing about it ?????

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:27 28 Feb 06

'Unfortunately, most of the people on this forum are more concerned with being politically correct and under no circumstances to upset or speak badly about any supplier.'...utter nonsense, many suppliers (Mesh, PCW, Dell) have had their fair and unfair share of criticism. You are writing rubbish.

'Trading standards simply do not have the technical know how'...I cannot believe that you belive this.

'Sandisk not having a UK base, can only get limited help from them'..nonsense, something is not right in this post.....
here is the UK addy.click here

'It would appear that the IT world is closing ranks and protecting its own!!! are you on hallucigenics.

'And what is the intelligent and active PC Advisor forum doing about it'...for one I am rather bemused at this post and a little suspicious.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos