Samsung Syncmaster 710T - I think's faulty?

sarah-280539 13:24 03 Mar 06

Hello,

I've had this monitor since last August and during the last couple of days I've noticed faint lines (like on an A4 piece of lined paper) across the screen. They don't move but obviously they are visible. On top of that today I've noticed a white line that is broken in parts but also runs in a straight line, it's almost as if I'd used an eraser to run out colour on a picture. I have it going through an analogue interface, and it's been like this since August with no problems. Does it sounds faulty? Thanks

martjc 13:31 03 Mar 06

...almost, but not quite, horizontal, then it sounds like a fault in the CRT tube of your monitor. As repairs to these things can be a bit haphazard - depending on the exact problem - it may be advisable to get a new one. But first, to be sure, find someone who it good at electronics [t.v. repair man?] to take a look at it. Note: there are lots of computer builders out there who can build a p.c. but have little knowledge of grass root electronics.

amonra 15:12 03 Mar 06

If the lines are mostly at the top of the screen and slightly sloping up from left to right, and intermittent ones lower down, then they are what's called fly-back lines. They are due to the fly-back not being biased off during the return period of the line timebase. They should remain equally bright when the brightness is turned up or down. A competent TV repair man should be able to help. Hope this helps.

sarah-280539 11:58 04 Mar 06

Hi,

I didn't think it was possible to repair TFT monitors.

De Marcus™ 12:34 04 Mar 06

To confirm whether this is or isn't a fault with the TFT, plug it into another pc, perhaps a friends or a laptop if you have one, if the problems are still there get the monitor repaired or replaced free of charge under warranty.

If the problems dissappear when plugged into another machine, then you may have a graphics card issues, which can be delved into should that be the case.

sarah-280539 17:16 04 Mar 06

My brother-in-law said I can borrow his laptop to test it, does anyone know how I'd connect it up? Do I need to buy a special lead or anything. Also is there something you have to do to bypass the laptop screen and get it to use the tft? Thanks

De Marcus™ 18:39 04 Mar 06

You should be able to connect it directly to the laptop via the tft's own lead to the connector that will be either on the back or side of the laptop. Start the laptop up and when it gets to the desktop, right click on an empty part of the screen and select properties, set your dual monitor preference up from there, it'll basically be the same picture on both screens, you should now be able to see if the tft is at fault or not.

De Marcus™ 18:40 04 Mar 06

step by step guide

click here

sarah-280539 20:09 04 Mar 06

Thanks for the info, I'll have a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

sarah-280539 20:30 11 Mar 06

hello,

My brother-in-law hasn't been able to bring his laptop until tomorrow. I was just checking through what I'd have to do and the options you described above and also on the link aren't available on my pc, when I click display properties/appearance all I have is the screen resolution and colour quality.

BRYNIT 22:23 11 Mar 06

Unless your vidio card allows two monitors this will not be available on your computer but will be availble on the laptop..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…