Samsung SSD X2 IN RAID 0 On Intel Series 7 Help Please

Technicsman 22:14 14 Jul 13

I have built lots of systems over the years, but this is my first build using SSD, having seen a great article on this site showing Intel raid 0 working on the series 7 boards with trim working and I think garbage collection as well with fantastic results, so I thought I would have a go at it myself.

My Problem, the article I read did not give out this information and this is where I need the help. When the ssd’s firmware has been updated if needed as I am led to believe it is best to do this with the drives plugged into other ports and to check for updates. Question 1, when the ssd’s are attached to the system and the bios is set to raid, and the raid is created in crtl I set up, when I come to install the OS which will be a clean install, do I need to install the Intel raid driver Via a USB stick or the old Floppy way at the Screen F6 prompt to add an additional driver device, or do you just use the native Microsoft drivers that Windows will install?. Question 2, when the O/S is installed and then I add the Intel RST desktop software does this software provide the tools for the Trim support / garbage collection automatically in say a tool box built in the software or, will I need to install the Samsung Magic software suite as well and run the tools when needed from that Software? Any help will be thankfully received; I am waiting for this info to start building my new rig.

For Gaming Rig, System specs: Win 7 64 SP1 Ultimate, Mobo Intel DZ77RE-75K Extreme Series, CPU Intel Core i7-3770K, 3.50, Samsung 840 Pro SSD x 2, in raid 0, (Hopefully) on the two Sata 6 gig ports, 4 WD Raptors, 1 Terabyte each in 0 + 1 on the four 3 Gig ports for data Apps storage, 2 x 8 Gig Dominator Platinum 16GB total DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9, 2 x Sapphire HD 7790 2GB GDDR5 OC crossfire. 850 Watt, corsair PSU.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:28 15 Jul 13

I set up RAID 0, using two Crucial M4s, earlier this year. You will need to set the SATA controller to RAID in the BIOS, then restart and setup your RAID array (your motherboard manual will tell you how). After doing that you should be able to install Windows as usual, with Windows installing basic drivers. After installing Windows you can then install the Intel drivers. Just make sure you check that you are using drivers that support Trim on RAID: "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 12.5.0.1066." or later.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:36 15 Jul 13

To add to the above, Trim and the built in algorithyms on the SSDs will take care of garbage collection. Make sure you do put the SSDs on the SATA 6Gbps ports, or you will restrict their performance.

Technicsman 21:34 15 Jul 13

Hi there, thank you so much for your input to my questions, it has been just what I needed and I now feel confident to start building up my system.

Cheers

retep888™ 16:55 17 Jul 13

<<do I need to install the Intel raid driver Via a USB stick or the old Floppy way at the Screen F6 prompt to add an additional driver device, or do you just use the native Microsoft drivers that Windows will install?>>

It'll all depend, most of the time Windows 7 will detect the RAID drives & install using the native driver however problem may arise when during installation Windows said no drives detected .

The motherboard manual tells you to create a RAID driver floppy disk but the problem is all modern boards don't have floppy connection (USB floppy drive is needed) but the RAID driver is sometimes too big for 1 single floppy. You can load driver from the motherboard CD but I can see you have all ATAPI sata connections already occupied so a USB dvd drive should be used.

<<when the O/S is installed and then I add the Intel RST desktop software does this software provide the tools for the Trim support / garbage collection automatically in say a tool box built in the software>>

If you're running RAID then no TRIM or other software will be needed, RAID will take care of it. I'd recommend to secure erase the SSDs before installing Windows using e.g. Parted Magic click here

How to secure erase SSD using Parted Magic click here

Technicsman 20:03 17 Jul 13

Hi There retep 888 this information from you has indeed help me to understand the best way to do what I wanted to do. Thank you for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…