Samsung series 5 ultra stuck in restart loop and cannot access BIOS

BenB90 11:23 07 Dec 14

Hi,

I have a Samsung series 5 ultra that I have been using largely without issue for the past year.

A couple of days ago, I was prompted to restart the machine for a Windows 8.1 update. I left the computer when it was around 35% through the update and came back to it about 30 minutes later to find that it was stuck in a restart loop. After restarting, the computer ends up at a screen that says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.". It then changes to "0% complete" and restarts straight away, looping through the same process continuously.

We have tried pressing all of the functions keys whilst the computer is booting up in order to get into the BIOS but we are never able to access it.

We have tried using a usb recovery drive but the laptop goes straight through to the same screen. We have also tried inserting an installation disc for Windows 7 but this has no affect either.

We have also tried removing the hard drive and starting the laptop up. This causes a different screen to come up that says something along the lines of "Press f4 to go into recovery mode" and when we press f4 the laptop restarts and ends up at the same screen.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated. Please let me know if you would like any further information.

Many thanks, Ben

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:41 07 Dec 14

power off

remove battery and mains leads

press and hold power button for 30s

reconnect mains press power on

at samsung logo press F2 to enter BIOS

set CD or usb drive as first boot device

let us know if you get that far.

BenB90 12:07 07 Dec 14

Hello Fruit Bat,

Thank you for the swift response. I have tried you suggestion and on pressing F2 at Samsung logo the laptop still starts to load Windows 8. The error message "Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart. etc". The laptop just will not allow access to the BIOS. Any other suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks Ben.

onthelimit1 13:21 07 Dec 14

When the computer boots, force it to shut down with the power button. If you do this 2 or maybe 3 times, windows should boot to advanced options. There you can do a refresh or reset.

robintheumpteenth 16:44 07 Dec 14

The offical advice is 3 hard power downs but I did hear of someone that says they took 4.

click here

sunnystaines 07:59 08 Dec 14

I reinstalled my samsung to factory settings to fix some minor problems, during reinstall w8 loaded ok but w8.1 got stuck in reboot loop. no keyboard keys would work so could not go back to factory settings,bios or use recovery media. neither microsoft or samsung were able to help as more than 12 months old in the end JL refunded under its extended free warranty.

if you trawl the net there are lots of problems with samsungs and bios problems and also reboot loops on w8.1 upgrades. [though i must say when w8.1 first came out it upgraded ok] tried forced shut downs all the F keys nothing helped. the laptop was also on its 2nd m/b and hdd having been replaced during warranty with failing to boot problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…