Samsung RV510 laptop wont boot up

JustSteph 16:03 02 Jan 14

Hi, I dropped my Samsung RV510 laptop and now it wont boot up at all. When I press the power button, the power light comes on but there is no display (completely black), nor are there any of the usual whirring noises of the fan and hard drive, though the disc drive still makes its usual noise.

I've tried removing the RAM and re-inserting them in the same slots, the other way around and each on its own in each slot. I also tried removing the hard drive and booting incase it was a hard drive problem, but I still got nothing. Removing the battery and powering up from mains did not work either.

Does this sound fixable? Or have I broke the motherboard?

Thanks! Steph

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:57 02 Jan 14

nor are there any of the usual whirring noises of the fan and hard drive

Remove refit hard drive and retry

try booting from a bootable CD /DVD such as a windows or linux disk

Try plugging in an external monitor incase its just a screen fault (you will need to press the Fn + F key with blue square to cycle through lcd to external screen)

last person you came to me with a dropped laptop with same symptoms was a hard drive failure.

JustSteph 20:13 02 Jan 14

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, removing and refitting hard drive didn't work and neither did booting from a bootable CD or a bootable USB. I don't have a cable to connect to an external monitor.

alanrwood 12:04 03 Jan 14

Does not sound hopeful. Does anything happen which makes you think the laptop is booting but you can't see the display ie any of the lights etc.

JustSteph 15:23 03 Jan 14

Unfortunately not. The only light that comes on is the power light.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 03 Jan 14

The laptop sounds dead but your data may still be OK if you put your drive into a caddy and connect by usb to another machine.

alanrwood 10:24 04 Jan 14

Agreed with Fruit Bat, seems to have gone to that electronic dump yard in the sky. Actually it is now time to decide if you want to buy a new computer or try and get it fixed. Repair costs are likely to be high but may be cheaper than a new machine. You need to find a local reliable repair agent to diagnose the fault exactly and give you an estimate for repair, then you can decide.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…