samsung NC10 will not share files across network

millbrook 12:30 29 Aug 10

I have a home network with:
BT voyager wireless hub;
Dell PC running XP;
Old Dell laptop running XP;
New Dell laptop running Windows 7.
I connected my Samsung NC10 to the same wireless network, using the standard setup wizard. It connects to the internet OK, but I cannot get it to share files with the other PCs on the network. (It did work fleetingly for an hour, but stopped when I rebooted.)

The NC10 gives the error message: "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions." I am the administrator!

The PC running XP can see the NC10, but when I click on the icon I get the same message plus "The network path was not found."

The new windows 7 laptop diagostics say "The DNS server isn't responding."

I recently connected the old Dell laptop also running XP using the same setup wizard with no problems, so the problem must be in the NC10.

I have enabled file sharing.
I have tried switching off the firewall.

mgmcc 14:23 29 Aug 10

Is the Samsung NC10 running XP or Win7 Starter? If it is Win7 Starter, it wouldn't by default use MSHOME as its Workgroup name and this would have to be changed.

The error message about not having permission and having to contact the Administrator is a generic one which Windows regurgitates whenever a networked computer cannot be accessed. It is unhelpful and usually misleading. Make sure that folders you want to have available over the network have been "shared" properly and that any firewall software has been configured correctly (disabling isn't always sufficient, as background processes can still be running).

>>> The new windows 7 laptop diagnostics say "The DNS server isn't responding."

You could try using fixed DNS Server addresses. Use the Router's IP address as the "Preferred" address and one of your ISP's DNS addresses as the "Alternate" one.

millbrook 22:01 29 Aug 10

The NC10 is running XP.
I have set up folder sharing and firewalls on the PC and laptop also running XP OK, since they share. As far as I know I have done the same on the NC10. So I cannot understand why the NC10 will not share, while the others do!

mgmcc 23:10 29 Aug 10

Try accessing the NC10 by typing the path directly into the address bar in Network (My Network Places) using the formats...

\\computername

\\computername\sharedfolder

\\192.168.1.2 (substituting the correct IP address for the Netbook)

millbrook 11:27 30 Aug 10

Your method works for my old laptop also running XP. I put in \\laptop1 and can see its shared folders from my desktop PC. But when I put in \\notebook1 I get "Windows cannot find \\notebook1.

I tried running the troubleshooter and it suggested I change the computer name. So I changed it to NC10 and re-set-up the network on the NC10. After refreshing on the desktop, I can see both NC10 and notebook1 in MSHOME, but still cannot open either. On the NC10 I cannot open MSHOME.

I went through the rest of the troubleshooter. All the computers can ping each other. The NC10 can access the internet. But it cannot access or be accessed by the other networked computers.

mgmcc 12:09 30 Aug 10

In the NC10, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there.

millbrook 13:51 30 Aug 10

The NC10 will connect to the internet OK - I am using it for this. The result of ipconfig /all is:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NC10

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-77-F2-36-95

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-2B-CF-73-53

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 August 2010 12:48:13

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 31 August 2010 12:48:13

For comparison, the same result on the laptop1 which does share files is:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : laptop1

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : BT Voyager 1065 Laptop Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-F5-B2-AA-7D

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 August 2010 13:38:35

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 31 August 2010 13:38:35

mgmcc 14:04 30 Aug 10

The problem with the NC10 is the Node Type of "Peer-Peer" and you need to edit the registry to fix it.

BEFORE PROCEEDING, CREATE A MANUAL RESTORE POINT

Open the Registry Editor ("Start > Run", type REGEDIT and click OK), navigate to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters

...and delete the two values "NodeType" and "DhcpNodeType" if they exist, forcing Windows to fall back to its default node type, which should be "Hybrid" (doesn't matter if it is "Unknown"). Reboot the Netbook.

millbrook 17:58 30 Aug 10

Thanks mgmcc for your detailed help. I followed you instructions easily and they fixed a problem which has bugged me for 6 months!

onthelimit 18:23 30 Aug 10

How on earth do you know this stuff? I am totally in awe!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017