Samsung NC10 - partition hard disk

steved99 17:08 17 May 09

Just bought myself a Samsung NC10 (Windows XP)which has a 160GB hard disk. As part of the setup/registration process it asks what size I want the C: and D: drives to be with the warning THAT THIS PROCEDURE CAN ONLY BE COMPLETED ONCE SO CHOOSE CAREFULLY.

I'm thinking along the lines of 50GB for C: (OS and programs) and the rest on D: (for data). Is this a good idea?

Thanks

Graham. 17:54 17 May 09

About 3/4 down the page click here

steved99 20:33 17 May 09

Thanks. That looks like the prodedure to change the partion size if it's already been set up. I haven't set the partition sizes yet. There seems to be a difference of opinion on the forums about whether two (or more) partitions are a good idea rather than just one large partition for the whole drive. Personally, I think I like the idea of two but don't really understand the advantages/disadvantages.

What I'm not sure about is whether to go for the default 50:50 split or a different balance (and if so what proportion should be for OS + propgrams and what proportion should be for data.

I will be using just a few different programs which may generate large amounts of data (which suggests a larger D: drive for the data), but am I correct in thinking this. Isn't "My Documents" on the C: drive - and if so can I move it to D: OK?

Thanks

MAT ALAN 20:40 17 May 09

I have C:\ set at 20gigs with just O/S and updates
all other progs and files on different HDDS and partitions..

C:\ drive is backed up using Acronis TI10, format C:\ reinstall takes less than an hour...

click here

move my docs in link...

MAT ALAN 20:41 17 May 09

forget to mention XP Home SP3

steved99 23:27 17 May 09

Great article on your link - thanks. If I've understood that correctly I just keep the C drive for Windows (and other software programs). As it's a brand new machine it's the ideal time so tomorrow I'll partition my 160GB with a smallish C drive and a large D drive and put "My Documents" on D.

Thanks for your help.

robin_x 02:43 18 May 09

My recovery D: partition is 10GB and the rest of the HDD is C: the remainder of the 160GB disc.
Do some more research before you format.

Sorry I cant help more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…